• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why? How? the designs of the early 70's mopars...

TopBanana72

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
I would like to like the group to talk about the third gen muscle era mopars. Does anyone know how they actually came about? I'm so sick of second Charger's for example. I don't care if I never see another one, because I like ours so much better. They are lower, wider, drive much better. We've got the coolest designs, but you never get any history about them? chime in guys......

I would like to like the group to talk about the third gen muscle era mopars. Does anyone know how they actually came about? I'm so sick of second Charger's for example. I don't care if I never see another one, because I like ours so much better. They are lower, wider, drive much better. We've got the coolest designs, but you never get any history about them? chime in guys......
ok so were are your pics of your car? Sorry but 2nd gen charger you just cant beat the look. Its mean standing still. JMO :poke:

All emotion aside, it was a styling cycle, all of the big 3 went down a similar path as they always did.

This is no doubt going to send the 2nd Gen Charger guys into a rage but oh well, everyone knows the best looking car they made during the muscle car days was the 70 Challenger... :poke:

No dukey boy movie for the good cars.
Burn Notice
1701487164207.jpeg

ok so were are your pics of your car? Sorry but 2nd gen charger you just cant beat the look. Its mean standing still. JMO :poke:
Pics? we all know what the look like. They look cooler then second gens. Sorry, but I am standing up for third gens.

All emotion aside, it was a styling cycle, all of the big 3 went down a similar path as they always did.

This is no doubt going to send the 2nd Gen Charger guys into a rage but oh well, everyone knows the best looking car they made during the muscle car days was the 70 Challenger... :poke:
this challenger :poke:
1701487361344.jpeg
:lol:

True, but I thought Ma really did a good job of refining the charger shape. Friend, I am a second gen OG. I had two of them in highschool back in the day. My first love for sure. But I really like the 3rd gen feel.

Third generation for the most part are butt ugly and the least desirable in my opinion.

I was pondering a topic along this line just a few days back. My query was more along the line of which year had the most dramatic changes, features and uniqueness. I personally would be hard pressed to go against 1971. The B-body was redesigned with a body that had no predecessor. The Rallye gauge cluster was a huge improvement on previous styles. Both Plymouth and Dodge were almost 100% unique of previous versions. I'm a Plymouth guy here. The Challenger in 1971 took the features of the 70 and refined them into even better accents. The grill to me is more refined and the tail lights added more than a basic one wide light reminiscent of earlier years of cars. Do I need to say anything about the 1971 Cuda? The Dart however maintained basically the same grill and tail lights from 1970 into 1971. The Demon again was essentially the same as the previous year, but both were awesome and the 72 grill for Dodge A-bodies was a change for the worse in most eyes. The Plymouth Scamp came along and stepped into the A-body race beside the Dodge Dart in 71. It is a tough call between those two grills. But if you toss the Duster Cheese-grater in there, there isn't really a question!

I'm a 71 lover in almost every model of the two. They were near the end of the desired cars, but they left a massive impression before they bowed down to the future.

Of course, I realize that the world holds the 68-70 Charger as the iconic muscle car, but that is simply all in the eye of the beer-holder!

:) :welcome:

Auto Transport Service
Back