• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why? How? the designs of the early 70's mopars...

I have to say this. If, I could find the right car, 1st would be a 66, long console car. 2, 1968, if, I could afford it, and make beautiful. I have 3 3rd gens, in my measly mind, sexiest of them all. Just my op.

20231119_180848.jpg

20231119_180810.jpg

20231119_180833.jpg

20221119_090012.jpg

20221118_202331.jpg

I'm pretty sure the rarest would be those couple of V code 1972 road runners and Chargers that got built before the option was cancelled.

If the topic turns to "being under water" by the time you are done with the restoration of a car, the last bunch of years have put 90% of them there. Not many people actually do their own work on high end restos so they are at a loss as soon as it is done. Regardless of the body style or brand. SOME cars out value the cost. MOST cars do not.

I'm pretty sure the rarest would be those couple of V code 1972 road runners and Chargers that got built before the option was cancelled.
They might be the rarest, but the 71Hemi cars are the most valuable. Very low production numbers too.

If the topic turns to "being under water" by the time you are done with the restoration of a car, the last bunch of years have put 90% of them there. Not many people actually do their own work on high end restos so they are at a loss as soon as it is done. Regardless of the body style or brand. SOME cars out value the cost. MOST cars do not.
You have it right. I have never owned a hemi car. Can I afford one now? Yes. But, I like saving the rarer stuff that perhaps, like most of us , pops up on the radar, and we wish we had the time. Or, Money or whatever to claim it. I do my own work sans actual paint, and machining, I love it. And! Saving something special that otherwise , might not ever be seen by us, nor the average observer, is way cool, when someone comes up and says, I have never seen something like this. I have a Dakota convertible . Whens' the last time you saw one of those? Hemi? No. But, way cool. I bought it new. There you are my friends! Merry Christmas!

Only car I regret selling. I've owned Hemi cars from all generations E's and B's, This is the car that was nicest to drive and felt the best at speeds at twice the legal limit.
Was really ugly though right?

Runcharger2.jpg

Only car I regret selling. I've owned Hemi cars from all generations E's and B's, This is the car that was nicest to drive and felt the best at speeds at twice the legal limit.

View attachment 1577302
I agree with the ride quality being the best. Always look forward to driving my '71.

Just me but… I’ll take the solid mounted K frame of the ‘62-‘72 over a GM inspired Rubber Biscuit cushioned floater that came in ‘73. Herb Adams of VSE who was a GM guy turned street racer/road racer said replacing the rubber with sintered iron biscuits improved the handling immensely on the GM F bodies. Chrysler did the same on the F and M body police package cars. I guess you could do the same to the B bodies.
I rarely see F/M police cars anymore in the yards but I'm going have to remember that about the iron biscuits. IIRC, if the F/M biscuits are swapped front to rear, they can be used on '73-later B-bodies.

View attachment 1577302
Back in the day I always thought the 71-74 chargers were ugly (despite having one for awhile) however when I decided to buy the 71 I have now I began really looking at a lot of pictures of them I came to the conclusion that more than any other car stance is everything and is the bulge or N96 hood. That long hood has to have something to break it up and if the car is low, level and have some good tire widths they look very bad ***.

All this said, it is a very delicate balance (IMO) and does not take much to screw it up. There are lots of 71's out there (and on here) that while nice cars do not look great. This is the one thing that I do believe that the G2 Charger has over the G3, however it is not just the G2 Charger, it is all of the pre 71 B and all of the E bodies; they all look pretty good regardless of stance, wheels and tires. I am not saying you cannot screw up one of these cars, lord knows that is a definite possibility with the right amount of effort. I used to think you could not really damage the look of an E body but I have been proven wrong, crazy hood scoops/shakers, weird spoilers, big shackles, etc...

I agree. You can have a 68-69 Runner in primer, with dents and mismatched wheels and it still looks pretty tough. If you have a 71-4, first thing you need on it is wide and fairly tall tires to fill up the wheel wells. Then it has to sit right and it can't be faded brown or faded green like so many were in the 80's.

Sean's field trip 2007 050.jpg

Back in the day I always thought the 71-74 chargers were ugly (despite having one for awhile) however when I decided to buy the 71 I have now I began really looking at a lot of pictures of them I came to the conclusion that more than any other car stance is everything and is the bulge or N96 hood. That long hood has to have something to break it up and if the car is low, level and have some good tire widths they look very bad ***.

All this said, it is a very delicate balance (IMO) and does not take much to screw it up. There are lots of 71's out there (and on here) that while nice cars do not look great. This is the one thing that I do believe that the G2 Charger has over the G3, however it is not just the G2 Charger, it is all of the pre 71 B and all of the E bodies; they all look pretty good regardless of stance, wheels and tires. I am not saying you cannot screw up one of these cars, lord knows that is a definite possibility with the right amount of effort. I used to think you could not really damage the look of an E body but I have been proven wrong, crazy hood scoops/shakers, weird spoilers, big shackles, etc...
I agree that there is a delicate balance that can get out of control. When planning the outward appearance of my '71 SE I liked the "less is more" route. Less clutter and leaning towards sleeper. The body has some beautiful lines that should be accented. Too much results in too busy.

I get a lot of comments at shows. Most are expecting a 318 column auto when they are approaching the car. I love it.

I agree that there is a delicate balance that can get out of control. When planning the outward appearance of my '71 SE I liked the "less is more" route. Less clutter and leaning towards sleeper. The body has some beautiful lines that should be accented. Too much results in too busy.

I get a lot of comments at shows. Most are expecting a 318 column auto when they are approaching the car. I love it.
There is no doubt that the 71-74 has some very fluid and beautiful lines but as I said, I feel that the lines can be disrupted fairly easily with a bad stance and especially that long flat hood. As you can probably tell, the flat hood is a deal breaker for me but fortunately they repop the AG hood now (which is what I am using on my car).

In the early 80's I had a 71 Charger, B5 blue in/out that was a 383 AT bucket seat car. I absolutely hated that car because I was an E body guy and had a 74 Challenger with a 440 6 pack in it as well. I got the charger as my "winter" car and while it did work I just didn't like it mainly because of that long *** hood.

Fast forward to 2020 and a friend asked me if I was interested in buying a 71 Charger project? My initial reaction was "hell no" because I immediately thought back to the car I had back in the day. However my car addiction kicked in and I had to ask "how much" and the answer was a no brainer as I could not lose money on it so I agreed to buy it. This of course caused me to spend some time online looking at 71 Chargers and I immediately noticed how different they look when they have a bulge hood and the stance is right.

Like I said, fat tires and down low they look fast like aircraft that they were designed after. If the backend is up in the air 70's style they look stupid, if they have some monster hood scoop it detracts from the lines. I know some don't like the spoilers but I think the gull wing rear (not the go wing) and front spoilers do enhance the look.

There is no doubt that the 71-74 has some very fluid and beautiful lines but as I said, I feel that the lines can be disrupted fairly easily with a bad stance and especially that long flat hood. As you can probably tell, the flat hood is a deal breaker for me but fortunately they repop the AG hood now (which is what I am using on my car).

In the early 80's I had a 71 Charger, B5 blue in/out that was a 383 AT bucket seat car. I absolutely hated that car because I was an E body guy and had a 74 Challenger with a 440 6 pack in it as well. I got the charger as my "winter" car and while it did work I just didn't like it mainly because of that long *** hood.

Fast forward to 2020 and a friend asked me if I was interested in buying a 71 Charger project? My initial reaction was "hell no" because I immediately thought back to the car I had back in the day. However my car addiction kicked in and I had to ask "how much" and the answer was a no brainer as I could not lose money on it so I agreed to buy it. This of course caused me to spend some time online looking at 71 Chargers and I immediately noticed how different they look when they have a bulge hood and the stance is right.

Like I said, fat tires and down low they look fast like aircraft that they were designed after. If the backend is up in the air 70's style they look stupid, if they have some monster hood scoop it detracts from the lines. I know some don't like the spoilers but I think the gull wing rear (not the go wing) and front spoilers do enhance the look.
Charger latest view.jpg
plain power bulge hood, no inserts. Came from a '73 new take off.

I don't think 73 Chargers are ugly,I own one! I just don't agree with people dissing the second gen Chargers,which are the Rembrandt of Dodge styling designs!

View attachment 1567740

View attachment 1567741
Love your car, here's mine
I don't think 73 Chargers are ugly,I own one! I just don't agree with people dissing the second gen Chargers,which are the Rembrandt of Dodge styling designs!

View attachment 1567740

View attachment 1567741
Love your car, here's mine

DSCN0765.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back