• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why? How? the designs of the early 70's mopars...

I was pondering a topic along this line just a few days back. My query was more along the line of which year had the most dramatic changes, features and uniqueness. I personally would be hard pressed to go against 1971. The B-body was redesigned with a body that had no predecessor. The Rallye gauge cluster was a huge improvement on previous styles. Both Plymouth and Dodge were almost 100% unique of previous versions. I'm a Plymouth guy here. The Challenger in 1971 took the features of the 70 and refined them into even better accents. The grill to me is more refined and the tail lights added more than a basic one wide light reminiscent of earlier years of cars. Do I need to say anything about the 1971 Cuda? The Dart however maintained the same grill and tail lights from 1970 into 1971. The Demon again was essentially the same as the previous year, but both were awesome and the 72 grill for Dodge A-bodies was a change for the worse in most eyes. The Plymouth Scamp came along and stepped into the A-body race beside the Dodge Dart in 71. It is a tough call between those two grills. But if you toss the Duster Cheese-grater in there, there isn't really a question!

I'm a 71 lover in almost every model of the two. They were near the end of the desired cars, but they left a massive impression before they bowed down to the future.

Of course, I realize that the world holds the 68-70 Charger as the iconic muscle car, but that is simply all in the eye of the beer-holder!

:) :welcome:
Nice post. I agree. the 71 redo was impressive. I'd like to know the design cycle into the third gens. I met the gentleman that designed the 1969 charger front grill and taillights a few years ago at Carlisle. He was a man in his 80's and he had the original color layouts with him. His design was dated 5/67. So we know that design changes were made roughly two years ahead of production. I find this fascinating. We always hear about the design history of the 68 charger, but what do we know about the third gen era?

Honestly though, third gens are really the last affordable b body you can get anymore. Except for maybe a cordoba or four door satellite/coronet. You could still buy one and pull into any gas station and people are still going to say you have a cool car but as long as you’re having fun with it, that’s all that matters.

So, no strife intended here with the original post. I happen to be an OG 2nd Charger guy who can only afford a third gen, then subsequently found them much more awesome for various reasons. I posted this in the 71-74 section for this reason. That said, I'm really interested in the development details of this era (along with the Plymouths). It's an era you don't hear too much about.

Since this it is already starting to go off the rails I will say this, I was never a G2 Charger fan although I had a number of them (70 being the best to be sure) but the G2 Roadrunners and GTXs (even the Satellite's) were/are nice, I absolutely hated the G3 Chargers back in the day, I had a 71 and just beat the hell out of it because I didn't like the looks. The 71 Roadrunners and GTX's were/are nice but again, IMHO nothing beats the 70 Challenger damn sure not that 71 Cuda which everyone loves so much, that car was like "lets put everything on one car" type designing. The 70 Cuda is ok but actually I prefer the 72-74 Cuda, nicer grille and taillights.

With all this said I am currently building a 71 Charger because after really looking at them and seeing how nice they could really be especially with the bulge hood and proper stance I am now a huge fan. I think the 71 B bodies embrace all of what was good about Mopar muscle cars in general, pistol grip shifter, air grabber and sexy rallye instrument cluster.

anything Big Block Mopar 71 and down........ there aren't that many left, so I wouldn't be too picky

yes please.......

1701495551968.png

1701495449248.png

Last edited:
The best description I ever heard of the 1971 Plymouth Satellite was it looked like a catfish kicked in the chin. Not a fan of them never was. I'd take a 1966 Charger over a 71,72,73 or 4 any day. But you just can't beat the 68 to 70 Charger body style. After 71 can you really call them muscle cars? They may look the part but lack the testicles. Also not a fan of Dusters I guess its the huge panel around the back wheels.

The best description I ever heard of the 1971 Plymouth Satellite was it looked like a catfish kicked in the chin.

that's awesome ....... :lol:

reminds me of a joke...... how do you circumcise a hillbilly?

kick his sister in the chin :D

The best description I ever heard of the 1971 Plymouth Satellite was it looked like a catfish kicked in the chin. Not a fan of them never was. I'd take a 1966 Charger over a 71,72,73 or 4 any day. But you just can't beat the 68 to 70 Charger body style. After 71 can you really call them muscle cars? They may look the part but lack the testicles. Also not a fan of Dusters I guess its the huge panel around the back wheels.
I think Plymouth was just carrying over the grill design that they had in 1970 when the next generation came out.
1701501988890.jpeg

V.S.
1701502015008.jpeg

As for the Chargers, I prefer the 73-74 back side window shape over the 71-72. It's hard to tell by looking that the 71 was actually a few inches shorter than a 70, they pulled the lines out so well that it looks longer.
1701502094648.png

Was not a fan of the 70 Plymouth grill either but it grew on me. I don't mind it now. Don't get me wrong all of the years have their people who love them. So my opinion means nothing. Its just that, my opinion. So don't be offended. I'm also not a fan of 20 inch wheels on these cars but the 71 and later cars look better with bigger wheels to fill up that rear tire area.

The '68-70 have great styling. My 71 was way more affordable because they were less desirable at the time (I think around 1985 when I bought it.)
For 3rd gen you could split the '71-72 models from the '73-74 models when they went to the isolated k-member and suspension, and the re-designed rear quarter panel shape.
The 3rd gen is a heaver vehicle. I think the large bumpers, door bars, and re-enforced B-billers added weight. Between my '69 Coronet and '71 Charger, the Charger seems to be built stiffer, and they are supposed to be more aerodynamic.

Gary Beineke's car looks purposeful.

71K&K.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back