• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why no Plymouth version of the Charger?

Yep, only the mid sized version of Grand Prix was what was introduced in 69, Grand Prix was around much earlier. Monte Carlo follow the next year in 70. The Grand Prix in 69 was reworked into a Luxury mid sized platform from the full sized platform which was the Chargers market segment. Dodge was ahead of everyone back in 66 with the first Chargers, then they hit a home run in 68.

1702061291815.png

How about a '65?

1702061474687.png

GTX was Plymouth's Charger. Top of the midsized line. RoadRunner was like Superbee. Cut down versions. Cornett was that of Belvidere. The platform model to all above.

But of course there are exceptions to EVERY rule and plan.

No.

Again- GTX = Coronet R/T.

Charger has no equal in the Plymouth line.

...and with A body cars until 1970-

Valiant = Dart.

Barracuda has no equal in the Dodge line.

A Road Runner is the performance version of a Belvidere/Satellite,both were available with a slant six engine. A Charger R/T is the performance version of a Charger,and the 440 Magnum was the base engine. You are comparing a performance version to the non performance version.
Then it could be argued that the Belvedere is the Plymouth equivalent to Charger, given all the trim levels available. Much like a mustang, you could get a "grocery getter" or a street beast in the same body style.

A road runner was muscle all day long and this isn't a slant six forum.

Then it could be argued that the Belvedere is the Plymouth equivalent to Charger, given all the trim levels available. Much like a mustang, you could get a "grocery getter" or a street beast in the same body style.

A road runner was muscle all day long and this isn't a slant six forum.
They made Belvedere 4 doors and station wagons too,there are no Charger 4 doors or wagons. The Road Runner is another trim level of the Belvedere line of cars. The Road Runners are the sister line to the Super Bee, not the Charger, there is no Plymouth equilivent to the Charger. Read what it says on the front fender of a 67 GTX and you will understand that all the Plymouth B body cars are models of the Belvedere line up including the Satellite, Sport Satellite, Road Runner and the GTX.

16640679_1344820642249600_2707022415808213771_n.jpg

Last edited:
No.

Again- GTX = Coronet R/T.

Charger has no equal in the Plymouth line.

...and with A body cars until 1970-

Valiant = Dart.

Barracuda has no equal in the Dodge line.

you're right you know..jpg

While not a single model, Mannix showcased a Dart convertible, Cuda convertible, hardtop Challenger among others.
I’m glad Joe Mannix didn’t have to drive the fugly cars Starsky & Hutch had to drive. What Ford did to their Torino, from just a few years earlier, was criminal. Even back when the show was new, I just couldn’t get any neat factor going with that Torino, lol.

A guy could always build a "what-if?" version using a Charger from the cowl back, and add a '67 Belvedere doghouse (with the '67 GTX scoops and grille). Use the GTX seat covers in front, and the back covers would need serious mods, obviously. I'd keep the Charger dash 100%, but change out the interior emblems.

It could be done, and it would be a true custom build. Lotsa money and talent to pull off, but it could certainly be done.

Have you price checked "Starsky and Hutch" torino's lately?

I’m glad Joe Mannix didn’t have to drive the fugly cars Starsky & Hutch had to drive. What Ford did to their Torino, from just a few years earlier, was criminal. Even back when the show was new, I just couldn’t get any neat factor going with that Torino, lol.
Agreed. I want to find a '72 Torino GT like my sister had on 1977. Triple white with the strobe stripe. 390 automatic. Had the 15" Magnum 500s on it, as well. What a great car! Ford screwed them up with their version of the 5-mph bumpers. The '72 was the last of a fine line of cars.

1702305449670.png

Look at the wing cars. Dodge used the Charger and Plymouth used there Belvedere/RoadRunner/GTX model because they had to.

While they didn't appeal to you, those years outsold the earlier generations so it seemed like the right idea for Ford's planners and shareholders.

Look at the wing cars. Dodge used the Charger and Plymouth used there Belvedere/RoadRunner/GTX model because they had to.
Plymouth had no interest in building an aero car. If not for Richard Petty switching to the Ford and leaving Plymouth they would have never built the Superbird. Dodge did all the research and wind tunnel testing, Plymouth had the whole B body aero package handed to them from Dodge.

Is that GT or a gran torino sport?

Have you price checked "Starsky and Hutch" torino's lately?
I know - it is a TV star. My model ride was in a couple of old Elvis flicks and in a Sandra Dee's Gidget movie. Sadly it never acquired the fame..

While they didn't appeal to you, those years outsold the earlier generations so it seemed like the right idea for Ford's planners and shareholders.
Yes, I know I shouldn’t knock it...each their own. Just that when I look at what GM did to the GTO, Nova, and so on…Okay, that’s what is called – progress.

Auto Transport Service
Back