• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why no Plymouth version of the Charger?

IMO 67 to 71 (even 72)
the Plymouth GTX was the Charger's sort of equal for the Plymouth Line,
midsize muscle/executive car, luxury with style, speed
& can get highly optioned
They only came with BB power std RB 440/426 Hemi option,
except they had no slant 6, no 318 :blah: like the Charger did...

For all the times you have posted this pic of your Mom's car, I just noticed that it looks like she has Keystones on the rear and factory wheels on the front. What is the story behind that?
The car had Magnum 500 wheels on it from the factory. My step father added the Keystones later on. The other two magnum wheels had studded snow tires on them for the winter.

For all the times you have posted this pic of your Mom's car....
He has posted that picture before ?

01 funny 7.gif

IMO 67 to 71 (even 72)
the Plymouth GTX was the Charger's sort of equal for the Plymouth Line,
midsize muscle/executive car, luxury with style, speed
& can get highly optioned
They only came with BB power std RB 440/426 Hemi option,
except they had no slant 6, no 318 :blah: like the Charger did...
The sales number for 1969 (peak year for both) Charger R/Ts and GTXs are closer than I thought. GTX sales were 15010, Charger R/T sold 19,298. Coronet R/T way behind both at 6955, Super Bee better at 26125, but still well behind the Road Runner at 82109. Source: Illustrated Mopar Buyer's Guide, Peter C. Sessler, 1989.

I had original owner history for five of the GTXs I've owned. They were all consistent with the upscale executive type profile. All guys in their 40s when they bought the cars, the one exception being the original owner of my Hemi car. He was in his 60s, and was married to a woman 25 years his junior. Although the GTX and Charger R/T had radically different styling, they both appeared to target the same market.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back