• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why wasn’t a factory performance hood offered?

I just took some new photos of the custom hood I am making for my Daytona stock car. These give the full effect!
20200608_203114.jpg
20200608_203114.jpg
20200608_203043.jpg
20200608_202906.jpg
20200608_202913.jpg

There is also a new member who just did an e body shaker hood adapted to a 69 Charger hood. The workmanship was top notch!

Second gen Chargers are like Raquel Welch or Ann Margret, Cathy Ireland, etc. No changes needed.

upload_2020-6-8_21-16-9.jpeg

I have seen shakers,air grabbers,and 70 Superbee hoods on Chargers. I even saw a dual scooped Cuda hood on one. I decided to do the 71 bulge louvered hood because I never saw one on a second generation Charger before.

On a 68-70 Charger there weren’t fresh air packages or R/T specific hoods offered. Why not? There would’ve been a slight performance gain with fresh air. All of the other B-body performance packages had at least a power bulge or scoop package. What do you think?
There is no performance gain. All scoops are gimmicks. They are installed for cosmetic upgrades. They are no different than exterior trim being added. Same goes for 6 pack air grabber hoods. These devices were designed as a cosmetic feature or performance gimmick. I like them on cars that have a matching body style or period correct. But, understand what they were intended for. It’s for looks only. Makes any car look more aggressive, etc. No different than a wing on the rear or body scallops on hoods, doors and quarter panels. Chrysler at the time was simply marketing to the younger or more performance crowds. This tactic worked flawlessly. Up until the manufacturing of these cars. No one had ever seen performance upgrades like this. Pertaining to the bigger hp V8’s and body styling of all cars years prior. Just like today. People buy into these manufacturing tactics. If people don’t buy into the performance gimmick. They buy into the cosmetic appearance upgrade. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Not true.

Specifically the T/A scoop and the Demon/Dart Sport scoop are very sound engineering.

Others work as well.

There is no performance gain. All scoops are gimmicks. They are installed for cosmetic upgrades. It’s for looks only. No different than a wing on the rear or body scallops on hoods, doors and quarter panels.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yes, there is a degree of cosmetic/gimmick/marketing to some scoops. But all you have to do is look at the super stock/pro stock cars in racing to see there is a performance reason. Dick Landy and Sox & Martin, to name two teams, didn't throw scoops on their hoods for looks. They were engineered for performance gains. And to go back before that, look at this car.
high-and-mighty.jpg

Do you think that scoop was put on there for cosmetic reasons? That car is all engineering. Nothing about it is for show - LOL.

As for wings, if you could find someone who'd let you (and you won't), take a lap around the Daytona track in a Superbird at 200mph. Then take the wing off and see if there's a difference.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yes, there is a degree of cosmetic/gimmick/marketing to some scoops. But all you have to do is look at the super stock/pro stock cars in racing to see there is a performance reason. Dick Landy and Sox & Martin, to name two teams, didn't throw scoops on their hoods for looks. They were engineered for performance gains. And to go back before that, look at this car.
View attachment 961394

Do you think that scoop was put on there for cosmetic reasons? That car is all engineering. Nothing about it is for show - LOL.

As for wings, if you could find someone who'd let you (and you won't), take a lap around the Daytona track in a Superbird at 200mph. Then take the wing off and see if there's a difference.
You’re arguing a point that has no relation to what I said. You’re talking about high performance aftermarket cars. When I clearly referenced stock performance street cars. If your looking for an arguement. At least read, what I said.

Back in the day didn't they have problems with air siphoning fuel out the tubes of Holley Carburetors when the air blew across?

There is no performance gain. All scoops are gimmicks. They are installed for cosmetic upgrades. They are no different than exterior trim being added. Same goes for 6 pack air grabber hoods. These devices were designed as a cosmetic feature or performance gimmick. I like them on cars that have a matching body style or period correct. But, understand what they were intended for. It’s for looks only. Makes any car look more aggressive, etc. No different than a wing on the rear or body scallops on hoods, doors and quarter panels. Chrysler at the time was simply marketing to the younger or more performance crowds. This tactic worked flawlessly. Up until the manufacturing of these cars. No one had ever seen performance upgrades like this. Pertaining to the bigger hp V8’s and body styling of all cars years prior. Just like today. People buy into these manufacturing tactics. If people don’t buy into the performance gimmick. They buy into the cosmetic appearance upgrade. Simple as that.
If you are saying there is no performance gain from "ram air", you are probably right. I think there is a performance gain, at least on the systems that actually function, as a result of cool exterior air, versus hot under hood air. The cold air ducted from the outside on hurst olds, from under the bumper, and the headlight ducting of a Thunderbolt, definately worked. The factory scoops, maybe not so much.
I've got a raisin bran scoop on mine, and that is one of the things i'm going to experiment with; block off the scoop, and see if e.t. changes from breating hotter under hood air.

If you are saying there is no performance gain from "ram air", you are probably right. I think there is a performance gain, at least on the systems that actually function, as a result of cool exterior air, versus hot under hood air. The cold air ducted from the outside on hurst olds, from under the bumper, and the headlight ducting of a Thunderbolt, definately worked. The factory scoops, maybe not so much.
I've got a raisin bran scoop on mine, and that is one of the things i'm going to experiment with; block off the scoop, and see if e.t. changes from breating hotter under hood air.
We are talking about a 350 hp stock / street performance engine. It being a 383 or 440. If someone thinks you’re going to magically increase hp on a 350hp stock engine by only adding a hood scoop. That someone is lost. In reference to cooler air. That’s a gimmick too on a stock engine. When a car is in motion. The excess air that isn’t sucked into the intake, is pushed and pulled under the car from the car being in motion. By air being introduced into the grill. The air temperatures that people claim to be cooler as a result of a hood scoop. Is the exact same air or air temperature that is being sucked in through the grill. LOL ! So this colder air theory on a stock engine performance car. Is nothing more than a cosmetic appearance and performance gimmick on a stock engine / street car. An aftermarket high performance engine ? Thats a totally different ball game. You have 7-10 more aftermarket performance ingredients that result in hp increase.

Last edited:
Trust me it will, for the worse. This was the best improvement I made to my SRT8. It gets absolutely no air from under the hood.
20190728_160226.jpg

2nd gen Charger is one of the few bodies in all of automotive history that is perfect in every way. BUT, the 6 pak hood doesn't look bad IMO. If I had the money I would keep a matte black 6 pak hood on hand and swap it out with my stock hood when I felt like it...

Couldn't have said it better myself! That is exactly what I did, for now it is hanging on the wall, just have swap out the springs for the softer ones but that is pretty simple. I also have the pistol grip ready to swap in as well for when I get tired of the ball..
hoodnewwheelz3.jpg

View attachment 961394

I saw a video somewhere was Richard Petty commenting on the wing car being nearly impossible to get sideways due to the sides of the wing acting as a rudder. I think he said that it was downforce being the focus in design and the rudder effect wasnt thought of until the car was ran.

I saw a video somewhere was Richard Petty commenting on the wing car being nearly impossible to get sideways due to the sides of the wing acting as a rudder. I think he said that it was downforce being the focus in design and the rudder effect wasnt thought of until the car was ran.
You are not going in excess of 120 mph and the wing on the race car was not of the same design. Richard also stated it was a bitch to get around corners.

He can bitch about it being hard to corner if he wants, but he stomped his feet, and went to Furd because he didn't have one! I heard that he wanted one because he didn't have to lift off the pedal when he got into the corners. He wanted one after driving a Daytona which had a shorter wing base than the Superbird,perhaps because of the difference between the length of the wingbase,the Daytona cornered better than the Superbird! Less rudder effect.

View attachment 961394

Think you missed the hole point there. Look at the air box and tubes under those carb. You really think they went to all that trouble to get a scoop clear up there. I really doubt it.

Auto Transport Service
Back