• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why wasn’t a factory performance hood offered?

He can bitch about it being hard to corner if he wants, but he stomped his feet, and went to Furd because he didn't have one! I heard that he wanted one because he didn't have to lift off the pedal when he got into the corners. He wanted one after driving a Daytona which had a shorter wing base than the Superbird,perhaps because of the difference between the length of the wingbase,the Daytona cornered better than the Superbird! Less rudder effect.
That subject is like beating a dead horse with a stick. Nothing will change the fact that the horse is dead.

Ok...let's think of all the current cars that have an intake though the hood...well there's...erm...and...erm. well none that I can think of...I'm sure there are one or two....but they generally don't make them now because they offer no measurable advantage and probably never did....it's 99% marketing and 1 % advantage. Don't confuse some cars with scoops like Subarus and Nissan's etc...they are scooping air in to cool the intercooler not to go into the intake. As for colder air making more power...well of course it does....you can even feel the difference on a cool day especially on a modem car that can self adjust the fuel to take advantage of the extra oxygen in cooler air....but there is the rub.....as said above the air coming through the grille and from under the motor is the same temperature are as comes through your hood. The only time there is an advantage is when you are stuck in town traffic when the understood temp builds....and who cares about losing a few horses driving around town at 30! I have an under hood temp gauge on my Alfa daily driver...I was curious to see how hot it gets under there with my bigger turbo and front mounted intercooler...."very" was the answer...but only in traffic. As soon as I get moving above 20 or so the under hood temp is always within 2 or 3 degrees C of the ambient air temp.
As for any measurable ram air effect....well that's not going to be happening much either...for a start any car with a blunt nose like a Charger will kick to so much tubulance over the hood that the air pressure will be greatly reduced across the top of the hood where the scoop is (a Daytona/Superbird with hood mounted ram air would probably be better in that respect) and secondly the speed your would need to go to produce any measurable increase in intake pressure (which would mess with your carb settings anyway...they are mainly set up to work with vacuum not pressure) would be very high. On current superbikes like the BMW S1000R the intake is right between the headlights in the maximum pressure area...even they claim any advantages are only measured above 100mph.
Imo the only reason to have a hole in a 68 to 70 Charger hood.....is to have an 8-71 sticking up through it! Lol.

Last edited:
Ok...let's think of all the current cars that have an intake though the hood...well there's...erm...and...erm. well none that I can think of...I'm sure there are one or two....but they generally don't make them now because they offer no measurable advantage and probably never did....it's 99% marketing and 1 % advantage. Don't confuse some cars with scoops like Subarus and Nissan's etc...they are scooping air in to cool the intercooler not to go into the intake. As for colder air making more power...well of course it does....you can even feel the difference on a cool day especially on a modem car that can self adjust the fuel to take advantage of the extra oxygen in cooler air....but there is the rub.....as said above the air coming through the grille and from under the motor is the same temperature are as comes through your hood. The only time there is an advantage is when you are stuck in town traffic when the understood temp builds....and who cares about losing a few horses driving around town at 30! I have an under hood temp gauge on my Alfa daily driver...I was curious to see how hot it gets under there with my bigger turbo and front mounted intercooler...."very" was the answer...but only in traffic. As soon as I get moving above 20 or so the under hood temp is always within 2 or 3 degrees C of the ambient air temp.
As for any measurable ram air effect....well that's not going to be happening much either...for a start any car with a blunt nose like a Charger will kick to so much tubulance over the hood that the air pressure will be greatly reduced across the top of the hood where the scoop is (a Daytona/Superbird with hood mounted ram air would probably be better in that respect) and secondly the speed your would need to go to produce any measurable increase in intake pressure (which would mess with your carb settings anyway...they are mainly set up to work with vacuum not pressure) would be very high. On current superbikes like the BMW S1000R the intake is right between the headlights in the maximum pressure area...even they claim any advantages are only measured above 100mph.
Imo the only reason to have a hole in a 68 to 70 Charger hood.....is to have an 8-71 sticking up through it! Lol.
You’re exactly correct. Of course cooler air makes a carbureted engine run a lot better. Especially today, with ethanol fuel that boils at much lower temperatures than gasoline prior to ethanol. But, a hood scoop doesn’t change the temperatures of intake air when the car is moving at any significant speed. There is a very minimal amount of radiant heat from an engine when a car is in motion. But, the air is being sucked under the car so quickly, it’s completely irrelevant in reference to intake air temperature. Plus, you have the engine fan. So, any minimal radiant heat. Really doesn’t effect air temperature to any significance at all. If outside ambient air temperature is cool enough the engine will run a lot better period. Regardless, of a scoop or not. I love the look of scoops on cars. Especially, classic cars. But, they are cosmetic marketing, performance gimmicks.

Last edited:
Made some progress on the hood today!
20200614_183314.jpg
20200614_183321.jpg

On a 68-70 Charger there weren’t fresh air packages or R/T specific hoods offered. Why not? There would’ve been a slight performance gain with fresh air. All of the other B-body performance packages had at least a power bulge or scoop package. What do you think?

I know this is a reply to an old post but, I was just on dc.Com and I haven't been able to post pictures there. And I saw a post about hood scoops. And the 2nd generation charger never came with any kind of hood scoop.or fresh air intake. So I wanted to post what I did to my 69 hood, to at least let some heat out .
20170517_185521.jpg
20170417_182435.jpg
20170417_192020.jpg

I had a shaker hood on my '71 440 6 pak Cuda. When the outside temp got around 50 degrees, open the fresh air....the cam came alive. A definite difference in performance (highway. city street romping)

I know this is a reply to an old post but, I was just on dc.Com and I haven't been able to post pictures there. And I saw a post about hood scoops. And the 2nd generation charger never came with any kind of hood scoop.or fresh air intake. So I wanted to post what I did to my 69 hood, to at least let some heat out .View attachment 1022333 View attachment 1022338 View attachment 1022339

I have 3 hoods so I did this on the worst hood. It had lots of surface rust inside and out. Had to separate the substructure from the hood skin to get rid of the rust and epoxy primer it anyway. And I'm in Florida so I needed to let some heat out , and I didn't want a scoop. Besides, the 69 is the only second generation charger that has factory louvers. I just added a few more. And if I eventually don't like it, I have two more hoods.

He is one of our Canadian neighbors on the forum, I don't think he will mind my posting his car. The other one I picked off of here too, but I have no idea on the owner.
He did a good job Jerry. Unlike a permanant scoop, he can shut it and the car looks great. If Dodge had done a Challenger style twin low profile scoop on the 1970, that may have blended.

I agree with most here that the lines on a 68 Charger are hard to improve on.
charger 3shaker resized111.JPG
charger68-69CRT hood.jpg

But a shaker wouldn't be too bad..... or the raisin bran hood. (two scoops for those that don't get it)
I would just leave well enough alone if it were me..

Auto Transport Service
Back