• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why would my tranny shift from 1st to drive?

kikgas01

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
My 65 300 has a 383 in it. It shifts from low to drive. No second gear. Any suggestions? I start it cold in park or neutral it wants to move forward too. Any ideas? The passing gear linkage is on it too.

My 65 300 has a 383 in it. It shifts from low to drive. No second gear. Any suggestions? I start it cold in park or neutral it wants to move forward too. Any ideas? The passing gear linkage is on it too.
Is the linkage adjusted properly?

I think so. It feels like it is catching every gear. Even if I shift manually it wont go but when I hit drive it goes in. Totally skips second gear. It just shifts once.

do you have the stock kickdown linkage? Some of the aftermarket products like lokar are very nice but you will need to spend a lot of time tweaking it to get proper shifts.

Also could be something as easy as a fluid flush.

My diagnostic book says,for both problems, shift linkage adjustment. For the moving in neutral, valve body malfunction, rear clutch malfunction or cluth clearance too tight may be the problem. By what I have found if it's not the shift linkage adjustment or obvious fluid level or plugged filter it's probably got to come out.

I will try the filter and if that isn`t it, I will have it rebuilt with the accumulator spring removed and a good shift kit.......... Thanks for your help. It has sat for 2 years.

Kickdown band is not applying. All that happens for second gear is the kickdown bands comes on. If it dont work it just stays in first until you have enough road speed for the front clutch to apply and give you third. Normally when the front clutch comes on for third the band releases at the same time. I would drop the pan and take a look. It may have broken the band or strut and you may find some of it in the pan. Ron

Kickdown band is not applying. All that happens for second gear is the kickdown bands comes on. If it dont work it just stays in first until you have enough road speed for the front clutch to apply and give you third. Normally when the front clutch comes on for third the band releases at the same time. I would drop the pan and take a look. It may have broken the band or strut and you may find some of it in the pan. Ron

bingo... in rare occasions, the intermediate band's cast iron anchor (that is placed in between the band and the adjusting screw) will crack and fall away not allowing the band to engage when the front servo piston is engaged.

TFkickdownBand01.gif

or, in even rarer occasions, the front servo piston (around the metal clad seals) could be damaged/cracked/broken:

frontkit.jpg

Transmission 101! Been a long time for me to work on one....good info and thanks for the jog of the memory!

Auto Transport Service
Back