• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Satellite - Column Shift not going into park

Bats5

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
Looking for help... the previous owners of my 69 Satellite attempted to change it from a column shift to a floor shift and completely removed the shift linkage. I found a replacement from a 68 GTX, which I assume is the same. I had my daughter in the car working the column shift lever and was able to adjust the linkage to go from 1st gear to almost into park. Its about a half click from going fully into park and locking the drive shaft. If I pull down on the level attached to the steering column from under the car, it clicks into park, locking the drive shaft. No amount of adjustment will have it go fully into park. not sure what to do to correct this. any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

All I can tell you is don't drive it until it does....
20221011_131207.jpg
20221011_131050.jpg

Are you saying that you cannot adjust it to go into Park, or

You cannot adjust it to go into Park and 1st?

Loose linkage and worn bushings. Very easy to find the problem and get the parts.

Are you saying that you cannot adjust it to go into Park, or

You cannot adjust it to go into Park and 1st?
Can't get it to go fully into park. i was reading the repair manual again, and will see about adjusting the control lever on the transmission itself.

Loose linkage and worn bushings. Very easy to find the problem and get the parts.
the linkage was loose. i replaced the bushings and added a few washers and missing clips etc to tighten everything up. very solid now. i will try and adjust the lever on the transmission itself and see if that helps. appreciate the response.

the linkage was loose. i replaced the bushings and added a few washers and missing clips etc to tighten everything up. very solid now. i will try and adjust the lever on the transmission itself and see if that helps. appreciate the response.
Make sure the lever on the transmission off the valve body shift tower is tight.

Can't get it to go fully into park. i was reading the repair manual again, and will see about adjusting the control lever on the transmission itself.
That is not adjustable.

Thank you Black Sheep. T have tried adjusting that hex bolt and the arm to different positions, that is how I got it close, but not fully into park. the picture you attached, the shifter linkage is slightly different, the arm the hex bolt mounted on, is bent in a way mine isn't. maybe cause i have a 318 and the picture is for a big block?

Just a different thought. Have you checked your backup light switch to ensure it is installed properly? If the switch and the actuator positions are reversed, it could be causing a problem whereas preventing it from going into park.

Thank you Black Sheep. T have tried adjusting that hex bolt and the arm to different positions, that is how I got it close, but not fully into park. the picture you attached, the shifter linkage is slightly different, the arm the hex bolt mounted on, is bent in a way mine isn't. maybe cause i have a 318 and the picture is for a big block?

Yes, mine is for a big block so it could very well be different. The adjustment procedure would be the same. Are your bushings in good shape?

Just a different thought. Have you checked your backup light switch to ensure it is installed properly? If the switch and the actuator positions are reversed, it could be causing a problem whereas preventing it from going into park.
thanks, i will check that.

Yes, mine is for a big block so it could very well be different. The adjustment procedure would be the same. Are your bushings in good shape?
Bushing are in good shape. I bought new ones, and the old ones all have the same play in them.

Update in case anyone was interested.. the issue was in the steering column. the spring that goes behind the shift lever in the steering column had come loose and was impeding the shifter lever. once i corrected that, it shifts into park as intended. appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.

Auto Transport Service
Back