• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why you should inspect your Racecar. It could save you

ES
The torque thrusts were new, the year was 1975. They were on the front with G-70 Dunlops. I drove hard on mountain roads. I went to chrome reverse wheels at K-Mart. They were $10 each. With stock hubcaps and Hemi mufflers, I became almost invisible to cops. My ticket numbers went way down.

Last edited:
Nice catch... :thumbsup:

it's called nutten' & bolten'
checking the car from front to back
common practice on racecars
I did it between every trip to the racetrack
some at the track too

never know whats going to break

Nice catch... :thumbsup:

it's called nutten' & bolten'
checking the car from front to back
common practice on racecars
I did it between every trip to the racetrack
some at the track too

never know whats going to break
I used to make it a habit to go through a 15-20 point check on things that can and will go south before and during racing.

We've had issues with steel wheels as well. The contact between the wheel and rotor/drum is minimal. The lack of surface area between the two bent wheel studs. Not sure yet what the final solution will be yet.
Doug

Working on a Sprint Car we touch just about every nut and bolt on the car after every race. So I've kind of gotten in the habit of doing that on my car. It's amazing the stuff you find starting to loosen up that you would normally never think of. For example, I have 15 passes on the car this season so yesterday I was checking out the back half of the car and found my caliper mounting bolts were starting to loosen up. It really is a good habit to get into if not after every race, at least after every couple of races you should take some wrenches and a flash light and start hitting nuts and bolts along with looking for abnormalities. Because like Doug, it could save you from a real mess down the road.

Not sure yet what the final solution will be yet.
What was wrong with the Weld rims?? They certainly look up to the task...
Gotta say, you are a lucky man..... smart to be looking out for trouble.

We broke a trans cooler last weekend. It was mounted between the subframe connector and the drive shaft. Under the the drivers seat. Fortunately this kept all the fluid between the frame rails. But was even dripping off the deck lid and tail lights. When cleaning the underside I washed the wheels and took a look at the recently installed 5/8 studs. The picture is the spokes of the rear wheel at the hub next to the stud washer. Every spoke on both wheels is similar. Ran this car for close to 800 passes. Converted to 5/8" studs this Winter. Never guessed the old 1/2" studs were stronger than the wheels.
Doug

View attachment 1307017
Everyone runs those 5/8” studs with the aluminum spacers but I don’t like the fact that the wheel can move on them. Lots of guys using aluminum lug nuts as well. My 1/2” studs have shanked lug nuts to locate and center the wheel. Just seems to be a better setup.

What was wrong with the Weld rims?? They certainly look up to the task...
Gotta say, you are a lucky man..... smart to be looking out for trouble.
Just don't like the look on this car. They are from my street car.
Doug

20210719_132330.jpg

They must have grown on me over time....
And BTW, I liked them when I saw your  street car last year at Norwalk...just sayin. :thumbsup:

That's a heck of a catch, most would missed that until it became a real problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back