• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a 23 Spline 833 work with the 426 Hemi Engine

Yes, but just go easy on it. Both transmissions are great, but beating on a Hemi might get one.

All it requires is a clutch disc to match the trans and it will live just fine,
Unless youre beating the snot out of it every chance you get.

I have and several friends used them behind hemis and some healthy B - R/ RB engines and they lived just fine

Yep, it will.
When i owned my 71 Hemi GTX 4 speed car, the first time that i had to do a clutch on it, i found out that it didn't have the "quote, un quote" original 4 speed HEMI transmission to it.
Had a 23 spline transmission in it.
The guy that i purchased it from, at one time had a transmission shop replace the trans. Most likely somebody was beating the hell out of it.
I owned it for 28 years before i sold it off, without having any issues with the trans.

Just my opinion but the A833 is pretty much bomb proof regardless of input shaft spline count.
I think I read somewhere that the 23 spline was rated at 700 ft pounds of torque and the 18 spline rated at 900 but don't quote me.
Ask the racers on here that have been beating the **** out of them for decades. They know.

Just my opinion but the A833 is pretty much bomb proof regardless of input shaft spline count.
I think I read somewhere that the 23 spline was rated at 700 ft pounds of torque and the 18 spline rated at 900 but don't quote me.
Ask the racers on here that have been beating the **** out of them for decades. They know.
Well, the 18 spline didn't like living behind a 500 ft lbs 440 launching at 6k with 12" slicks :D

If you use the 23 spline unit, make sure it's the one with the larger od bearing retainer thats the same od as the 18. A motors used the 23 spline too but the retainer was smaller in od.

Auto Transport Service
Back