• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a VOM show a lower value with a ballast resistor when checking it?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
I'm showing full battery current when hooking one up......

Not sure what your asking but if you check voltage, you should have battery voltage on one side and a low (resisted) voltage on the other. 12VDC vs 7VDC. I’m not sure what the ohm value should be.

Thought a ballast resistor would show resistance when checking it by itself.....at least with voltage.....

You would check it both ways.

With nothing hooked up check ohms. Closer to zero means no resistance for voltage drop.

With terminals connected, check voltage drop.

Ballast resistance values are tested by disconnecting one or both of the wires connected to the resistor, setting the V-O-M (analog device like a Simpson 260 or Tripplett 630) to the R x 1 setting, shorting the rest lesds together, zero the instrument to show zero (0) ohms (usually full scale), unless it's an digital auto ranging instrument, then connect the rest leads to the resistor then read the resistance in ohms directly. When measuring resistance, no external voltage is applied to the device being tested.
3 1/2 or 4 1/2 digits digital auto ranging devices are extremely accurate a relatively inexpensive...like Harbor Freight's offering at less than $ 10.00.
BOB RENTON

I have never had a ballast resistor short, thus applying the full 12 volts to the coil at all times. I have had them open, start and die or not start at all. You actually need a pretty good meter to read tenths of ohms. Checking for voltage drop is easy, check on both sides of the resistor(s) to chassis ground under all evolutions. Key off, key on, starting, running.

That's been my experience, they are either good or blown open. I have actually seen carbon resistors lower in value in some cases of abuse but never a wire wound like a ballast in a car.

Auto Transport Service
Back