• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will max wedge exh manifolds work on a 69 B body

I did try a set of Max Wedge style reproduction cast iron "heavy" headers/manifolds
63 426 IIRC is what they were patterned after
on my old 68 RR {cars long gone sold in like 2007}
I got from the manifolds from Mancini Racing
they were like $720 they're now like $1025 a pair |
{IMVHFO there's far better options in good quality headers, for that kind of $$$,
like Schumacher Creative Services or TTI's or Doug's, especially if you not worried about or looking for every last HP/TQ #'s possible}

IIRC the passenger side was the worst, it hit the trans dipstick tube, not the fire wall
I used a Lokar flex tube & eliminated that issue
I didn't have an issue on the drivers side, it's offset forward some IIRC,
I used a Dakota mini starter too,
no issues even if it was the stock large starter thou,
It cleared all the steering no problem & I made a heat shield for the Master cylinder
{it was too close for my taste}
It was on a B-Low deck block too, Moroso solid motor mounts,
Capps Automotive {now QA1} tubular K-member with stock mount locations, torsion bar & steering
But on a RB taller & wider deck, it maybe a little tighter higher up & out like 1/2"-3/4" or so on each side,
RB is a wider taller engine remember
I made/modified the head-pipes myself out of the TTI Max Wedge exhaust system pipes,
{It was like $1300 for the head-pipes, crossover & cutouts from TTI, it's not cheap stuff}
I had to narrow them slightly & change the angle at the head pipes to bolt up flat, IIRC...

they are really heavy like 35#'s each, before porting & deburring casting flash,
I'm more concerned about the added extra weight 60+ #'s on the front end,
I took them off & built my own headers, up swept like the max wedge stlye,
up toward the rear & down near the firewall with a mandrel bent tubing & step pipes 1-7/8" to 2"
into a Flowmaster Scavenger Series 4-2-1 merg collectors,
way better fit & much lighter too, sounded a little batter IMO

sorry cars sold & I'm going to do the same thing on my current 68 RR
as far as the headers/collectors too...

the photo below isn't my car but a similar build with a 440 RB in a later 68-69 Charger IIRC

Attachments

• MRE Max Wedge 62-65 cast iron headers #MRE426mw $1025.jpg
    MRE Max Wedge 62-65 cast iron headers #MRE426mw $1025.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 125
  • Exhaust Flowmasters Scavenger Series Collectors C134218234.jpg
    Exhaust Flowmasters Scavenger Series Collectors C134218234.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Exhaust 413ci-426ci Max Wedge Cast Iron Mopar Manifolds.jpg
    Exhaust 413ci-426ci Max Wedge Cast Iron Mopar Manifolds.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Exhaust TTI Max Wedge head pipes cut-outs with mufflers MW-Hpipe2 $1222.oo.jpg
    Exhaust TTI Max Wedge head pipes cut-outs with mufflers MW-Hpipe2 $1222.oo.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 119
Looks like I may just opt for the 68-9 HP manifolds and have them cleaned up. Thanks everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back