• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will max wedge exh manifolds work on a 69 B body

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I'm going for a retro/stock look and was wondering if max wedge exhaust manifolds would bolt onto a 69 B body ? Has anyone done flow # comparision on 69 HPs to max wedge to header comparision?

I do not know...
I would say: YES

A) Headers will flow better than the "Cast" Exhaust manifolds
B) Do you have MAX WEDGE style Heads? (Because there is a difference)

This is MY 440 built as a Maxie:
Im running TTI headers BUT these Heads are 452s Heavily ported...

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 276
Haven't got the heads yet, I but did know there is a port difference. Yes I know headers would out perform them all but was interested in how much.

i think there's an issue with the driver side. keep in mind that those S/S manifolds were desigined for an engine that sit in a different location in the chassis.

Thanks lew, I wasn't sure if anyone had tried it or not.

I thought the only port difference was on the intake side and the exhaust was the same size as the others. So I'm thinking there wouldn't be a problem running max wedge exhaust manifolds.

The manifolds will fit but you will have a clearance issue with the booster if you have power brakes.Also,the right side manifold will fry the paint on the valve cover,the left will boil the brake fluid,Max Wedge cars weren't meant for extended driving if that is your intent.I made insulators out of sheet aluminum to solve that problem with mine.P3150428.JPGP3150429.jpg

Thanks 62Max,

- - - Updated - - -

69 GTX,
One question:
Are you thinking of purchasing Max Wedge heads for your build?

If so, is there a particular reason other than them being "Max Wedge" heads?

Is it flow numbers or a specific reason ?
Just asking, friendly basis only...

The manifolds will fit but you will have a clearance issue with the booster if you have power brakes.Also,the right side manifold will fry the paint on the valve cover,the left will boil the brake fluid,Max Wedge cars weren't meant for extended driving if that is your intent.I made insulators out of sheet aluminum to solve that problem with mine.View attachment 242231View attachment 242230
this is an early b-body. with the engine moved back 1 1/2" and an inch or so to the driver side, would the master and steering column still clear?

Super bee, I'm just doing research before my build. My mind tells me that max wedge port heads are better than std port.
My goal is 11.50 ET in full street trim with a stock/OEM/sleeper look. Now granted MW manifolds aren't stock on a 69 but would appear to be to the untrained eye. Lew & 62max Maybe I'd be better off with some reworked 69 manifolds?

Hmmm,
Yup, I see your point...

I'd suggest you "PM' forum member IQ52 or some other members about the "Head" and specifically, a better Head for racing.

I personally know a Great Max Wedge guy. Located in Baldwin Park, CA
Ex NHRA Max Wedge racer and now a engine builder for Bob Mosher (Mopars by Mosher) [All Max Wedge cars]
Anyway, it is my belief that you can do better with todays technology Heads as opposed to the Max Wedge heads
My 452s on that Max Wedge style 440 of mine will outflow any Max Wedge head anywhere with a better Quench area.
And yes...built by Mr Max Wedge himself, Mr. Dale Reed of Baldwin Park, CA

But: I stress this all the time...."Build what YOU want"

Remember what Budnicks says in every post:
"Fill your library before you fill your garage"

Super bee, I'm just doing research before my build. My mind tells me that max wedge port heads are better than std port.
My goal is 11.50 ET in full street trim with a stock/OEM/sleeper look. Now granted MW manifolds aren't stock on a 69 but would appear to be to the untrained eye. Lew & 62max Maybe I'd be better off with some reworked 69 manifolds?
max wedge heads being better than standard port heads may be debatable.

here are some stageIII intake flow numbers i found: .100-63.6
.200-124
.300-190
.400-237.7
.500-257
.600-259

I do know that the Max Wedge program was a complete "package"
Another words,;
It was not just 1 or 2 items that made them go fast.
It was a combination of things together, much like a recipe.
One of the KEY ingredients was the exceptionally "high" compression ratio of 11.5 to 1 or 13.5 to 1
Interesting to NOTE: Hot Rod magazine was quoted as saying a Plymouth 1963 Max wedge was the FASTEST car they ever tested (Stock)
-Can you imagine?
-With those puny tires?
-Make one wonder how the Beach Boys could sing a song about their 409!

This is my "Bud's" Maxie roaming around (occasionally) So Cal
He is an old timer now...
He will be at Van Nuys Spring Fling

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Max Wedge enging.jpg
    Max Wedge enging.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 211
  • 63 Polara interior 1.jpg
    63 Polara interior 1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 63 Polara interior 2.jpg
    63 Polara interior 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 182
:headbang:
It's easy, Super-Bee-Ski. The Beach Boys song came out in 1962. :)

Oh...

:iamwithstupid:

LOL, thanks Photon440!
But the 413 Super stocker would have definitely have beaten the "fuel injected" Sting ray..!

:headbang:

PS: Faster IS better!

I read a whole article about the 'Shut Down' song, comparing the Sting Ray to the 413 Super Stocker. They agreed with you - said the Beach Boys lied. :)

Thanks for all the input fella's!

The Beach Boys might have been given a lil bonus form Corporate GM huh?
Very Interesting!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 170
Auto Transport Service
Back