• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will My Hood Close Question?

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I am in process of building a 512 Stroker for my 1969 Charger RT. I was planning on running an Edelbrock Performer RPM and the Holley HP 950 Carb. I am hoping for some insight on those that may have travelled this road before me, Will this set up fit under my stock hood with no modifications? I plan on running the stock air cleaner if possible. Looking for any and all input/responses.
Thank you all,
RG

Edelbrock Performer is taller than a stock intake. I think its 1.5 inches taller than a stock intake. Maybe you can use that info. Put a lump of playdough on the air cleaner to see what kind of clearance you have to start with.

You will need a drop filter base. A RPM is almost 2" taller than the stock 4 barrel manifold.

Thanks fellas, with the drop filter base is there a loss of performance in your experience?

Yes there might be a very small loss of horsepower with the drop base, especially if you still have a choke/choke horn. Drop base design is important too (L88 corvette base repop is very good)
My guess is it won't be something that you can feel in the seat of your pants with a 512. I think the rpm will make lots more power added to the motor, than the drop base would remove.

That is very interesting!! I honestly wasn't aware! Thank you!

I run one in my 68 Charger with a 505" 440 in it. You will need the drop base from mancini to use the stock air cleaner. In the 383 you can get away with a shorter filter, but in the 440's case, its taller, so you need the drop base.

500.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back