• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will rear speakers be enough to enjoy stereo?

I agree. I know so many folks who want concert hall sound in a car with Flowmaster mufflers, headers, a 50-year old suspension design, and the windows down while going down the road. Ain't gonna happen. :)

Dibbons:
I am guessing that you are trying to keep the car as stock looking as possible. The 2 different sized holes in the rear deck package tray were to allow for the rear defogger mounted under one of the holes. Mopar at one time had an adapter plate which allowed for a speaker to be mounted above the defogger. Dual speakers can be mounted under the package tray , a mounting plate can be easily fabricated. Like shown in previous photos, a dual speaker set up in the original dash opening can be used. If the stock look of dash, and use of the original radio is desired, here is a way to get really great sound and power by getting your stock radio converted. I know Larry, and have seen and heard his converted radios. Check his web page at www.woodradios.com

I'm sure it'll be fine, but here's some food for thought: modern car sound is designed so the highs and high-mids predominantly come from the front. This produces a sound stage in front of the listener, which is a more natural setup (lol, and this will sound nuts but is totally true, since we evolved as predators, it is more natural for us to focus on sounds in front of us than behind us). Thus the rears are designed to produce the lows and low-mids (which are less directional), supporting the soundstage by creating a deeper and more complete sound.

But hey, set it up and give it a listen, you might love it just the rears. And if not, they do make brackets that allow dual 4" (I think) speakers to fit the OEM front speaker location.

Check out my thread on installing a stealth sound system - I put high quality sound in my car for a couple hundred bucks and totally hid it. And I didn't even use a head unit - I used an eq with a preamp and just connect my phone as the music source. I did decide to cut the kick panels but hey were repop panels anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?66612-Budget-hifi-hidden-stereo-install

I did the same as many here have mentioned and been happy with it. Amp under package tray powering 2 6x9's also mounted under package tray to avoid hacking the panel. Then 2 - 5.25's mounted in some spare kick panels I had. Paint matched the speaker grills in the kick panels so it's a bit more subtle as you can see in this picture. The driver's side speaker and grill is close but does not interfere with the operation of the parking brake pedal.

16qaee.jpg

Stock AM radio in the dash that powers only the 4x10 dash speaker. The amplified system gets signal from my ipod or phone. Best of both worlds.

OK. I thank everyone for the advice. My plan now is to forget the AM radio alltogether, fill in the radio dash hole (which is already mangled by a previous owner) and make it look like a radio delete-two smaller speakers to replace factory front speaker and additional 6 x 9 speakers in the package tray. Done!

I'm a pretty basic guy. Back in the days I was happy to cut my car up to enhance the sound. Still have the same car and don't give a **** about stereo additions. IVe gone back to the stOck am radio with the stock speakers. Only reason I care it works is because it should. Maybe I can listen to the Vikings games occasionally. Not really a music guy. If I want to listen to a good stereo I jump in the Lexus and enjoy - mostly I like the quality of silence. Or better yet the sound of motor muscle.

Auto Transport Service
Back