• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger Stereo install - two different sized speakers?

ChargerChad

Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I think maybe this has been discussed many times before... if there is already a thread please let me know. Here goes:

Short question: Keeping the package tray looking stock... can I mount two 6x9 speakers from the bottom in the back even though the speaker holes are different sizes or do I have to buy a 6x9 and a 5x7?

Not doing a concourse restoration, I drive my car every day the sun shines. Sick of not having any tunes!!!

I’ve got 6x9 in my 70 mounted in from the bottom. Cant see why not

In my 74 Charger, I used two
6x9 speakers. There are holes
on the drivers side that line up
with the 6x9 speaker holes.
I just used a piece of plywood
to extend the speaker away from the package shelf.

Factory never put 2 6x9's in the back.

Stereo had one speaker in the back and one in the front*.

The 5x7 hole is for the defroster.

...but I've put a 6x9 in that hole in pert near every Mopar I've ever owned.

Factory never put 2 6x9's in the back.

Stereo had one speaker in the back and one in the front*.

The 5x7 hole is for the defroster.

...but I've put a 6x9 in that hole in pert near every Mopar I've ever owned.
Correct never did but 6x9 and correct ohs rated speakers if using factory head unit. Also in 69/70 b body tape player it got you 4 speakers, 3 front and 1 back but I’ve used 67 c body harness and they used 5 speakers 3 front 2 back predecessor to most likely 70-74 bodys with 5 speakers. Just my 2 cents

Both my 62 Dart and 62 Valiant have 3 6x9 'speaker' holes in the steel below the package tray, as well as a thin slit behind the middle speaker hole.
All 3 'speaker' holes have 4 bolt holes around them and a 6x9 speaker will fit perfectly.

I take it later cars do not.

From a 62 I parted out, and cut a section out of to fix mine.

20220417_165733_001.jpg

I've got two Jensen 6x9 in my rear shelf in my retro-runner. A common install back in the day.

Auto Transport Service
Back