Will the Explorer ever be collectible?

SteveSS

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
I've seen some shows talking about the 90's Tahoes and Suburbans becoming collectible if they were in great shape. It's what Gen X, Y, Z grew up with when they were kids. I haven't heard anyone mention Ford Explorers. I agree with those that say the 1991 Ford Explorer started the whole SUV craze. Sure there were some similar vehicles before it but the EXP really kicked it off. It just made me think because out at the ranch we have a '98 Explorer full-time 4WD with the 5.0 L. Kinda rare. It's in great shape. We just keep around for deep snow. With big snow tires, it's a tank!!!!

Timmayy

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
I would assume that they will catch up with the rest of them. I see those Jeep Grand Cherokees from the 70s and 80s are getting some good $$$$$.

chargervert

Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
Only the ones that go into a violent barrel roll when they get a flat tire! Good thing Ford had better lawyers than Firestone! Seen one barrel roll near my house a few years back and 5 people were ejected from the vehicle 3 people died including a baby, and it didn't have Firestone tires on it!

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I've seen some shows talking about the 90's Tahoes and Suburbans becoming collectible if they were in great shape. It's what Gen X, Y, Z grew up with when they were kids. I haven't heard anyone mention Ford Explorers. I agree with those that say the 1991 Ford Explorer started the whole SUV craze. Sure there were some similar vehicles before it but the EXP really kicked it off. It just made me think because out at the ranch we have a '98 Explorer full-time 4WD with the 5.0 L. Kinda rare. It's in great shape. We just keep around for deep snow. With big snow tires, it's a tank!!!!

At your age, I wouldn't worry about its worth 10-20 years from now.

MoparLeo

NRA BENEFACTOR LEVEL LIFE MEMBER
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
The Jeep will always be the standard. Ford " Exploders" will never be desirable to anyone who is not a die hard blue oval lover.
I worked for Bridgestone/Firestone during the recall. Ford and Firestone were camping buddies. Their grand children married in the 40's. making Ford and Firestone actual families.
Behind the scenes, Ford repaid Firestone for the entire recall. It was cheaper to replace tires than to replace vehicles. Fords fault.
They spec'd the tire and didn't upgrade the specs as the Explorers weight increased over the years overloading the tires at the air pressure that Ford, not Firestone recommended. 26 psi. After the recall Ford replaced the recommended pressure stickers on the Explorers with 30 lbs. PSI.
We measured the air pressure and tread depth specs as well as other data on all the vehicles that came in for tire replacements. Average air pressure nationwide was only 18 lbs. People just don't check their air pressure.
Bridgestone launched a nation wide campaign about checking your tires air pressure. Ford redesigned the Explorer with a lowered center off gravity and changed to an independent rear suspension, while not admitting the vehicle was unstable.

YY1

Local time
Reaction score
26 psi ????

That was the era of increasing from a fairly universal standard of 32 to 35, 40 and even more.

440 PHIXX

The Island of Misfit Mopars
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
A lot of those were crushed during “cash for clunkers”.

YY1

Local time
Reaction score
Remember when 75% of used car lots were explorers and camrys?