• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the Explorer ever be collectible?

SteveSS

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I've seen some shows talking about the 90's Tahoes and Suburbans becoming collectible if they were in great shape. It's what Gen X, Y, Z grew up with when they were kids. I haven't heard anyone mention Ford Explorers. I agree with those that say the 1991 Ford Explorer started the whole SUV craze. Sure there were some similar vehicles before it but the EXP really kicked it off. It just made me think because out at the ranch we have a '98 Explorer full-time 4WD with the 5.0 L. Kinda rare. It's in great shape. We just keep around for deep snow. With big snow tires, it's a tank!!!!

I would assume that they will catch up with the rest of them. I see those Jeep Grand Cherokees from the 70s and 80s are getting some good $$$$$.

Only the ones that go into a violent barrel roll when they get a flat tire! Good thing Ford had better lawyers than Firestone! Seen one barrel roll near my house a few years back and 5 people were ejected from the vehicle 3 people died including a baby, and it didn't have Firestone tires on it!

I've seen some shows talking about the 90's Tahoes and Suburbans becoming collectible if they were in great shape. It's what Gen X, Y, Z grew up with when they were kids. I haven't heard anyone mention Ford Explorers. I agree with those that say the 1991 Ford Explorer started the whole SUV craze. Sure there were some similar vehicles before it but the EXP really kicked it off. It just made me think because out at the ranch we have a '98 Explorer full-time 4WD with the 5.0 L. Kinda rare. It's in great shape. We just keep around for deep snow. With big snow tires, it's a tank!!!!

At your age, I wouldn't worry about its worth 10-20 years from now.

The Jeep will always be the standard. Ford " Exploders" will never be desirable to anyone who is not a die hard blue oval lover.
I worked for Bridgestone/Firestone during the recall. Ford and Firestone were camping buddies. Their grand children married in the 40's. making Ford and Firestone actual families.
Behind the scenes, Ford repaid Firestone for the entire recall. It was cheaper to replace tires than to replace vehicles. Fords fault.
They spec'd the tire and didn't upgrade the specs as the Explorers weight increased over the years overloading the tires at the air pressure that Ford, not Firestone recommended. 26 psi. After the recall Ford replaced the recommended pressure stickers on the Explorers with 30 lbs. PSI.
We measured the air pressure and tread depth specs as well as other data on all the vehicles that came in for tire replacements. Average air pressure nationwide was only 18 lbs. People just don't check their air pressure.
Bridgestone launched a nation wide campaign about checking your tires air pressure. Ford redesigned the Explorer with a lowered center off gravity and changed to an independent rear suspension, while not admitting the vehicle was unstable.

26 psi ????

That was the era of increasing from a fairly universal standard of 32 to 35, 40 and even more.

A lot of those were crushed during “cash for clunkers”.

Remember when 75% of used car lots were explorers and camrys?

I'm asking this again a year later. I just feel like they are about to go from junk to cool because you grew up with one. My son recently bought a nice 2000 Ford Expedition. We had one as a family vehicle then I gave it to him when he turned 16. It was black and had some fairly big tires on it. It got T-boned. Now at 31 he bought one. I knew it was going to happen since it was his first car and they are so damn handy to own. 3 rows, 4WD, you can tow with it etc.

I fully expect my daughter to buy a first gen yellow Xterra since that was her first car. My kids are car people, like they ever had a chance not to be!

I'm asking this again a year later. I just feel like they are about to go from junk to cool because you grew up with one. My son recently bought a nice 2000 Ford Expedition. We had one as a family vehicle then I gave it to him when he turned 16. It was black and had some fairly big tires on it. It got T-boned. Now at 31 he bought one. I knew it was going to happen since it was his first car and they are so damn handy to own. 3 rows, 4WD, you can tow with it etc.

I fully expect my daughter to buy a first gen yellow Xterra since that was her first car. My kids are car people, like they ever had a chance not to be!
The first ones were really the Bronco 2. Those already are collectible. The Square Explorers might well get there, even 4 door, because they look 80's. Kind of like the square S10's now.
2 door Blazer/Tahoe is up in price because it is the GM version of the Bronco. Broncos have been up in price for a decade now. Ramcharger lagged behind but recently has exploded. I mean, so far as a truck will, more like went from $3500 to $10,000. Still....

Late 90's? Eh, I dunno. They made a gazillion, and most people that grew up with them had 4.0 4wd Exploders, not the Mercury or high optioned Ford version with the 5.0 cobra motor and AWD. So most people that grew up with them, hate them lol.

Full size SUV will always have a market. Not probably collectible really, just that a new one is like $90,000 so old ones get a boost just because people want one and don't have mortgage money for it. i owned a '98 Expy with NO air ride, but the 5.4 and heavy tow package suspension etc. Ultra reliable, ran it for years, sold it with 180k miles on it with a small manifold exhaust leak. How to fix the leak? Take off the wheel, fender, inner fender, and maybe the shocks i think, so you can access the exhaust from outside. Or pull the whole motor. Power steering leak? Box is bolted to frame. Hoses connect to box between frame and box. Bolts to hold box on are from the OUTSIDE of frame. How to get at sterering box then? Pull motor, or remove entire drivers fender. To replace a leaking PS hose.

I sold mine. You have to be some kind of dedicated Ford boy to want to repair that kind of BS, and by the time I got to this point I was no longer interested in "modular" Fords. I replaced it with my '13 AWD Hemi Charger. Won't be fixing that either.
New era cars make for terrible old cars/collectibles. Too much BS, too much computers that will go bad with no support for replacements, and no way to go make one in a machine shop. Late 90's for CERTAIN VEHICLES is about the cut off I think. After that globalization ruined most interesting car characteristics. maybe the vettes and such will hold their own, but they still have computer issues to overcome.

For your case? I would run that thing into the ground with a rumbly exhaust and enjoy it. It isn't a retirement savings type of car, very little of anything after the front wheel drive revolution is, and most are Japanese.

I had a 96 Eddie Bauer Explorer years ago. One of my favorite daily drivers that I've owned.

My GFs mom pretty much lives in her exploder sadly. Horrible exhaust leak but seems to run decent.
6FFF55B4-7C3E-4770-A934-9940F35E936D.jpeg

Maybe if you had the Bronco from the OJ chase.

Auto Transport Service
Back