• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wilwood disc brake conversion kit with aftermarket magnum 500 wheels

The car is a matching numbers 1968 GTX. The original color is UU1 Frost Blue metallic, which is what I'm having it painted.

I will try to find my info on my brakes, but it's been 3 years ago. I went to 15 inch wheels and the conversion kit I got had black calipers.

Wilwood 140-10740-D DP6 Front Disc Brake Kit, 1962-72 Mopar B/E-Body

I think this is it. You'll need brake booster and master cylinder also. Are yours 4 wheel drum?

Hi Paul , Yes , Right now I have 4 drums.
I already have a booster & Master cylinder.
I was looking at the Wilwood disc brake kits when I got the email saying you posted this post.
The Wilwood brake kit I am looking at is:
140-11020_DR, It has the red caliper.
Did you also have to purchase the Wilwood flexline kit ? Thanks for your help

I'm thinking my mechanic took care of the brake line connections, including the proportioning valve. If you have 14 inch drums and wheels, you will need to upgrade to 15 inch wheels. I had to.

I'm thinking my mechanic took care of the brake line connections, including the proportioning valve. If you have 14 inch drums and wheels, you will need to upgrade to 15 inch wheels. I had to.
I already have 15 inch aftermarket magnum 500 wheels. So with the kit you said you used has the 6 piston caliper and it fit okay ?
I have heard some guys say they had fitment issues with the Wilwood drum to disc conversion kits and others like you say they fit with no issues. This is why I have so many questions. I really appreciate yours and everyone's help because I would hate to spend 1k or more and then the kit doesn't fit.

When we researched it, the issue was more that the wheels fit. The Wilwood's were a bolt on application, specific to my car(1968 GTX). If you're aftermarket's are 15 inch wheels, 15 x 7 or 15 x 8 in that range, you should have no problem. We actually replaced the studs on the one rear hub so that they would all be right hand threads as the kit will be right hand threads. If yours is a 1969 Satellite, there may be some subtle differences.
Call my mechanic at Old School Performance and Restoration. His name is Jay. 512 413 7387. I'll tell him to look for a call from Massachusetts.

888 376 0771 Classic Disc Brakes I would call this place first. They have a reasonable priced kit that includes booster. They make specifically for our B bodied year cars.

Hope this all helps.

Paul Wilson

When we researched it, the issue was more that the wheels fit. The Wilwood's were a bolt on application, specific to my car(1968 GTX). If you're aftermarket's are 15 inch wheels, 15 x 7 or 15 x 8 in that range, you should have no problem. We actually replaced the studs on the one rear hub so that they would all be right hand threads as the kit will be right hand threads. If yours is a 1969 Satellite, there may be some subtle differences.
Call my mechanic at Old School Performance and Restoration. His name is Jay. 512 413 7387. I'll tell him to look for a call from Massachusetts.

888 376 0771 Classic Disc Brakes I would call this place first. They have a reasonable priced kit that includes booster. They make specifically for our B bodied year cars.

Hope this all helps.

Paul Wilson
Thank you for your help. I decided to buy the Wilwood kit and before I have it installed I am going to see if the nose of the Wilwoods will fit with my magnum wheels. I can do this with out taking the hub/ Nose piece out of the plastic bag. If I have to remove the bullet caps for them to fit I can live with that. If they do not fit i will return the kit to Summit.
I will give an update as soon as i know.
Again Thank You all for your help.

FYI. When I purchased new bullet caps I had to grind the ears down to make them fit. You may have to do the same but it should work fine.

I got my Wilood brake kit installed and the only problem I had was to remove the center caps and I can live with that. I actually think it looks better.
I want to Thank everyone for their help it was and is greatly appreciated !!

15957725980032463092937760340264.jpg

Looks great. Glad to hear it worked out.
Just curious. I bought new bullet wheel caps for my car when I converted to Wilwood disc brakes from Classic Industries, product number MD2307. I had to grind the ears down to make them fit on the backside. Just FYI.

Looks great. Glad to hear it worked out.
Just curious. I bought new bullet wheel caps for my car when I converted to Wilwood disc brakes from Classic Industries, product number MD2307. I had to grind the ears down to make them fit on the backside. Just FYI.

Hi Paul , Thanks !! I was happy to see they fit. Did you have to use spacer behind the wheels to make them fit ? Because it doesn't look like I have enough space between the wheel and the Wilwood hub.

I did not have to use a spacer. I pretty much just ground the ears down on them to where it would catch good enough to tighten the holding screws down. I've had no problems with mine at all. If you look on Classic Industries and check out the part number I gave you'll see the ears I was referencing.
My wheels were American Racing Magnums. My Wilwood calipers were black, but your red ones really look good.

I did not have to use a spacer. I pretty much just ground the ears down on them to where it would catch good enough to tighten the holding screws down. I've had no problems with mine at all. If you look on Classic Industries and check out the part number I gave you'll see the ears I was referencing.
My wheels were American Racing Magnums. My Wilwood calipers were black, but your red ones really look good.

I know the ears you are talking about so I will have to grind them down to see if I can get them to fit. I am sure they will since it worked out for you.
I think next summer i will put disc brakes in the rear.
Thanks again for all your help !!

Auto Transport Service
Back