• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windlace Installation

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
I installed the windlace in my '63 Sedan today. It went in well, but like so many, can not get doors to close. I closed them as much as possible, in hopes they will start to form into the correct positions. Any suggestions, or tips to get the proper fit now ? Thanks...
0520231453.jpg
0520231641a.jpg
0520231642.jpg

Yeah, the rubber bulb section takes a while to crush; just latch the doors best you can and wait a day or two.

I had the same problem. I backed the door catch off just enough that i could barely get it to latch close, not proud of this part but I did use a small ratchet strap to pull the doors toward each other carefully. I sat the car in the sun as much as possibly and it took a few weeks but by moving the latch back a little at a time eventually i got the doors to shut ok. You still need to shut them like you mean it but not slam them. This was all done after attemping to move the pinch weld as much as possible.

I had the same problem. I backed the door catch off just enough that i could barely get it to latch close, not proud of this part but I did use a small ratchet strap to pull the doors toward each other carefully. I sat the car in the sun as much as possibly and it took a few weeks but by moving the latch back a little at a time eventually i got the doors to shut ok. You still need to shut them like you mean it but not slam them. This was all done after attemping to move the pinch weld as much as possible.
Thanks Dan, the ratchet strap idea crossed my mind last nite too...

Take off the windlace and gently bend the pinch weld inward.
May have to do a couple times to get just right.

Last edited:
Take off the windlace and gently bend the pinch weld inward.
May have to do a couple times to get just right.
Looking at it, I see that may be the way I need to go. Looks like the front vertical, from the dash down to floor, may be the issue ? I'll be on it tomorrow, Thanks...
16847125374756829143619506286746.jpg

Ya, look to see what areas are snug and start there. I used a set of welding vise grips with the wide jaw.

There is a a lot of info posted on this with helpful tips; in my case I gave up, have a '63 vert. The lace I bought was way too large and informed (at the time) there was only one outfit making it. Had to use longer screws for the sill plates and left the doors closed for 2 weeks. Slamming the door ended up wrecking the gear latch. Lace looked crappy anyway compared to the OEM. Red looked pink. Informed later model black sealing fits better and may try this. This was around 3-4 years ago - maybe better stuff is available now.

20170706_092411_resized_1.jpg

There is a a lot of info posted on this with helpful tips; in my case I gave up, have a '63 vert. The lace I bought was way too large and informed (at the time) there was only one outfit making it. Had to use longer screws for the sill plates and left the doors closed for 2 weeks. Slamming the door ended up wrecking the gear latch. Lace looked crappy anyway compared to the OEM. Red looked pink. Informed later model black sealing fits better and may try this. This was around 3-4 years ago - maybe better stuff is available now.

View attachment 1468357
Call Kramer guys. He's now got the right types. There was a mistake on these things because of a wrong mold issue. I got the right ones and now and my doors close like new.

Auto Transport Service
Back