• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window glass run channel lube ?

417guy

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I have the drivers window assembly out of the car, all weather strips replaced ( vent frame) rear glass felt (hardtop), roof rail weatherstrip, and have the run channel installed on the window ready to go into the vent window frame, and put the whole assembly back in the car. The pic I attached is the old window run channel before I installed the new one. I saw a YouTube video of this and he used grease in the frame channel before sliding the window in. I’m not sure that is best, or would a silicone spray be better ? Seems to me the grease will just collect dirt and be an issue later ?
Anyone done this that has a recommendation? TIA.

90A959E2-AF94-4449-A93A-1DA2495EC3A1.jpeg

All I use is silicone spray. There are varieties that might be better but I just use normal silicone spray.

No grease goes in the channel. Silicone if you think you need something. Lithium grease for the windows mechanism and the ‘tracks’ that work the rollers.

I did grease on the rollers & roller channels years ago....And ten years later I had to take everything apart & thoroughly clean & scrub to get all that crap outta there... It had stiffened up & the windows barely moved.... Silicone... It's not just for implants anymore...

I did grease on the rollers & roller channels years ago....And ten years later I had to take everything apart & thoroughly clean & scrub to get all that crap outta there... It had stiffened up & the windows barely moved.... Silicone... It's not just for implants anymore...
Thanks ! That’s what I was thinking

Auto Transport Service
Back