• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window won't roll down, binds on seal

OKDart

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix this. The pass. side window will roll down a couple of inches and then the plastic guide binds on the bunched up seal in the vent wing channel. This is on a '68 Coronet hardtop.

dschauishc.JPG

If the fuzzy in the guide channel is causing the trouble it should be replaced.
Mike

Are they new or original?

Either way since they "bunch" up they have to be replaced.....

If new, most people use the new holders with the new strips...makes sense but causes big headaches. They are thicker and taller than the originals....I always reuse the original holders and never have an issue...Punch out the hole in the strips with a hole punch and line up the strip correctly so when the glass is all the way up so is your U strip.....I also soak the "U channel" strip with silicone interior detail spray and then install...

Last but not least the next important item is proper window adjustments....

Everything is original. This car has been sitting for 15 years. I lubed all the other windows and they roll up/down like new now. You can see in the pic the plastic slide and below it is the bunched up weatherstrip. I don't see how an adjustment will correct that.

As far as replacing it, the assembly has to be removed from the car, correct? The factory service manual is vague, but it appears the glass stays up during removal, and the lift bracket with rivet stays on the whole time?

Also, can you recommend a good source for a new seal? Thanks.

Last edited:
Everything is original. This car has been sitting for 15 years. I lubed all the other windows and they roll up/down like new now. You can see in the pic the plastic slide and below it is the bunched up weatherstrip. I don't see how an adjustment will correct that.

As far as replacing it, the assembly has to be removed from the car, correct? The factory service manual is vague, but it appears the glass stays up during removal, and the lift bracket with rivet stays on the whole time?

Also, can you recommend a good source for a new seal? Thanks.
I never said an adjustment would correct a damaged weatherstrip...IIRC is said they have to be replaced and then adjusted properly.....

The vent including the door glass needs to be removed as one unit...And installed in the reverse....

Seals....Mega parts

Thanks.
BTW, I was responding to the first post from WileERobby about the adjustment.

Thanks.
BTW, I was responding to the first post from WileERobby about the adjustment.
gotcha....at the same time you may want to replace the window fuzzies....

I would pull everything out first and see exactly all that you may need to get...

Once it's damaged yo u have to replace it. But the there is an adjustment for the side windows to prevent that.

OK, I got it out, it was bunched up pretty good. I couldn't find the replacement seal on the Megaparts website. In fact, the only place I found it is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Door-Glass-Vent-Window-Channel-Seal-KIT-Coronet-Superbee-Belvedere-GTX/321683683263?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

$100 seems very steep for this part. Is that the going rate? Does anyone have a part # so I can do an internet search?

View attachment 525471
http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=123-WS230

As you can see thats what they run.....from 100-145......

The original Chrysler piece has just recently went NS1 to my understanding. When purchasing these pieces, make sure to know if your purchasing original Chrysler in the sealed carton or the reproductions. Huge difference in price as we sell both. As Justin mentioned earlier, if you purchase the reproductions, reused the original H-pins or you will have to massage the reproduction pins as they are too thick which will interfere with the operation of the window.

Thanks for the info everybody

Auto Transport Service
Back