• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wing(Vent) window glass bottom track sealant? Hardtop

Found the FSM page all it says is the glass with lower pivot and bracket 23-64-306? I will experiment with everything except the tube stuff I got. once I get it all. Will let you know what works.

The chrome I am referring to is the frame around the wing window or is t stainless? looks like chrome but then again the main part of it dos look like stainless it just inst faded like the other stainless trim was thinking its chrome?

BWW8tc9.jpg

upload_2016-9-6_16-56-51.png

If you have the factory glass, you need 1/16" glass setting tape. Not the 3/16"!

If you take a caliper and measure the gap in the rail then minus the glass thickness, divide that by 2 you get the thickness required - 3/64". I am unsure of where you found the 3/16" in my post?

1/16" will work but you will need to put excessive pressure on the glass to get it to seat due to the extra 1/32" of material. The 3/64" material required a fair amount of force to seat it and has been working very well for me.

D

Ooo just got me some new calipers digital too I'll check that tonight sweet thanks.

Found the FSM page all it says is the glass with lower pivot and bracket 23-64-306? I will experiment with everything except the tube stuff I got. once I get it all. Will let you know what works.

The chrome I am referring to is the frame around the wing window or is t stainless? looks like chrome but then again the main part of it dos look like stainless it just inst faded like the other stainless trim was thinking its chrome?

View attachment 359271

The part of the frame that follows the windshield is chrome, the front part of the triangle. The bottom where the glass goes is chrome. The part that is vertical where the door glass rides is NOT chrome and can be polished. This is true for 68/69 and I assume 66 also.

If you take a caliper and measure the gap in the rail then minus the glass thickness, divide that by 2 you get the thickness required - 3/64". I am unsure of where you found the 3/16" in my post?

1/16" will work but you will need to put excessive pressure on the glass to get it to seat due to the extra 1/32" of material. The 3/64" material required a fair amount of force to seat it and has been working very well for me.

D

Sorry, I misread the thickness of your post. The 3/64" stuff will probably work just fine.
The guys in my area all use the 1/16" stuff. Muscle Car Restorations here is a high end nationally known resto shop and they use the 1/16" tape. It is also what the local glass shop I used to set my glass. I recommend using what ever trips your trigger. I am only passing on the information that I know works.

So I have a couple of things coming to try, the 3/64th" tape is one, I am wondering how that works do you just center the glass in the middle and fold it up around each side and drop in in the channel? or do you fit it to the channel then wedge the glass in? the product come at 1.5" wide 3/64" thick so centering the glass at 3/4" would be the middle? that should be more than I need when it sits in the channel just cut off any excess flush? the other stuff I wanted to try and still think it could be repoped are these fitted rubber channel just with out the exact right size its a trial fit process. I also have some steele rubber products sash stuff at 1/16" thick and 1-1/2" wide so I can compare and see. I think you guys are super close to the exact fit part we will see. Also hope this post helps someone else down the road. I forgot I have a few pieces of the original gasket left I will measure it tonight.

Assemble the window into the frame before trimming. You may have to move it around a bit for proper fit.

I used the utility knife shown to trim the extra once I was happy with the fit.

D

IMG_2472.JPG

There is compression to account for. 3/64" would give you little to no compression. That's what holds the window in. 1/16" as stated would be the right thickness.

So the 3/64th stuff worked, other stuff as too thick for sure and the pre made track stuff I got would have worked had the base been smaller. I think the pre made channel stuff would be perfect if you can find the correct size. the universal glass track tape at 3/64" that web site that does the math for you is right on the money. now I have a roll of the stuff if anyone needs some strips lol now whats the trick to getting the new frame gasket installed?!! man this thing is kicking my *** whats the trick to getting it in the right place? mine almost seems too big!

I am interested in a couple strips of that tape if you would sell and ship? My 69 Coronet will need this and since you have done all the work finding the correct stuff, I would love to take advantage of it! PM me and we can go through details and exchange money. Thanks

Just message me i'll just give them to you for the cost of the shipping.

Auto Transport Service
Back