• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper mot wont turn off

Texas charger 73

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
i have a 73 Charger with a 3 speed wiper motor... i recently upgrade to an American auto wire harness and everything works flawlessly except the wiper motor.... everything is wired correctly, but when i turn on the key the wiper motor runs at full speed... no matter what position the switch is in it runs full speed and only full speed... i tried a different switch i know is good and same issue.. i have pulled switch and externally grounded it and still no change... any other suggestions

ps. when i had the standard dash in it all worked fine. now has a rallye dash

Just a guess, but are the wires hi/med/low/park, etc going to the correct place? Maybe a wire color on the harness mixed up?

all wires are in correct spot... i even moved wires around and nothing

Verify again the switch is grounded, had an E-body 3-speed behave as described recently, poor switch plate grounding. Double check the switch to motor wiring.

3-speed wiper wiring.jpg

I agree with 72RoadRunnerGTX.
Both the switch itself and the wiper motor MUST be grounded. Years ago, I 8custom built a console for my 74 Road Runner. I moved the wiper switch to the console and it wasn't grounded. My results were exactly as you describe. My bet is the switch, but it could also be the wiper motor.
jus sayin....

wiper motor turns off reversing the spinning sense allowing to a lever system built into the motor to cut the power just on that reverse sense, opening points built into the circuit pushing a tab. To reverse the motor needs also to feed with ground coming from switch through one of the harness wire reversing the power polarity ( DC motors can be change its spinning sense reversing the polarity of the source ) Hence why switch needs to be grounded.

dunno if makes sense what I tried to explain… somehow…

wiper motor turns off reversing the spinning sense allowing to a lever system built into the motor to cut the power just on that reverse sense, opening points built into the circuit pushing a tab. To reverse the motor needs also to feed with ground coming from switch through one of the harness wire reversing the power polarity ( DC motors can be change its spinning sense reversing the polarity of the source ) Hence why switch needs to be grounded.

dunno if makes sense what I tried to explain… somehow…
I'm still thinking I have a ground issue somewhere.

Auto Transport Service
Back