• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper question

Bold & Old

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
My wipers 67 coronets pivot assembles seem loose look now as if they moved sideways and have caused the external sheet metal damage. (see pictures) elongated hole

Was this because the pivots were not tighten properly or because the motor gears were not clocked properly?

Also can that repair is done externally??....... is there a gasket of some type that goes between wiper pivots and sheet metal in picture?

Any help would be appreciated............

Thanks to all for replies.

wiper hole.jpg

My wipers 67 coronets pivot assembles seem loose look now as if they moved sideways and have caused the external sheet metal damage. (see pictures) elongated hole

Was this because the pivots were not tighten properly or because the motor gears were not clocked properly?

Also can that repair is done externally??....... is there a gasket of some type that goes between wiper pivots and sheet metal in picture?

Any help would be appreciated............

Thanks to all for replies.

View attachment 1039117
That looks like Father Time has taken it’s toll, from the picture. Suggest you look under the dash and see if the pivots are bolted in securely. If those pivots moved that much, can’t see the wipers functions very well. I think you should track down another cowl. Don’t know how much you want to put into the car. Good luck.

Yes, you have a wiper pivot seal, and it's definitely not going to work on that.

My next move is to track the movement... and repair....... if there is a will there is a way.

Thank guys....

OK.... I cut the worn part out and is as pictured.

wipercut.jpg

wipercut1.jpg

I also had a rust issue on left side so I cut the bad part out and riveted then welded and sealed with my special sealer I made. All the wires & insulation were in place with no damage after the welding.

cowelll.jpg
cowel.jpg
repair3.jpg
cowel6.jpg

I am in the process of welding the left corner back....

I need the hole diameter and or a photo of a undamaged outside so I can make one for the wiper area. Thanks

The left side wiper pivot is loose and the right side is not.

I would like to see a picture of the gasket that goes between the outer sheet metal and the pivot extension thats peering on the outside of the wiper hole.

Yes, you have a wiper pivot seal, and it's definitely not going to work on that.

What is the steel holes diameter please...... there must be some clearance points between the pivot shaft and the top sheet metal hole. I thank you all..

Mike

Not to be funny but the hole diameter should be the same as the passenger side.

Auto Transport Service
Back