• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiring a aftermarket fuel gauge in a 1963 belvedere

flatheadgary

Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
i believe there is a regulator on the circuit card on this car. how do you wire an autometer mopar fuel gauge in? number 880785. mine fell apart. i have put in an aftermarket amp and mechanical water and oil gauge in the stock panel. i am going to fab a new flat panel and will be able to put these in but am not sure how to wire the fuel gauge in.

Last edited:
It depends on what type of gauge it is. The factory gauges use a bi-metal that heats up and they have to work on a constant voltage which is 5 volts from the IVR. Many aftermarket gauges are the magnetic type like GM used back in the 60's and 70's s they were the kind that stayed where they were when the key was turned off. That's kind works off of two coils in the gauge and don't need a constant voltage since a volt change will affect both coil windings the same the gauge wont change in small voltage changes. They usually just have a 12 volts at key on and a ground and the wire to the sending unit. All the aftermarket ones I got has a wiring diagrahm that came with them. And of course make sure it has the proper sending unit ohms. Ron

thanks for the reply. if you look up the gauge i am buying it is a classic mopar gauge. i am buying it from ebay. if you put the number in you can see it. i know about the switch you are talking about. that is what i am talking about. in other words, can i take the wire from the harness and just put it on the gauge? what is throwing me off is, it says it is a classic mopar gauge.

Auto Transport Service
Back