• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would love some info. Thumping noise, rear left wheel.

fmontez1

Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,

The other day I went for a cruise, and I started to notice a little thumping noise in my left rear wheel.

It seems to happen when I let off on the gas, and go away when I hit the brakes. Its a 68 coronet, with upgraded disc brakes up front, and stock drums in the back.

My parking brake is a little loose, it does work, but it isnt exactly san francisco proof. A good enough hill, and it will roll.

Could this be the root of my thump? Do these cars have the auto adjusters where you can back up and slam the brakes, and adjust the rears?

tire is brand new. . . I'll take a look. Sounds like a brake pad on drum or something. Also weird that it goes away when I apply brake pressure. Even at significant speed.

make sure lugs are not loose first.if good,then pull the drum and take a look.check for any axle movement as well,could be bad axle bearing stablising when brakes applied.

Hello All,

The other day I went for a cruise, and I started to notice a little thumping noise in my left rear wheel.

It seems to happen when I let off on the gas, and go away when I hit the brakes. Its a 68 coronet, with upgraded disc brakes up front, and stock drums in the back.

My parking brake is a little loose, it does work, but it isnt exactly san francisco proof. A good enough hill, and it will roll.
Could this be the root of my thump? Do these cars have the auto adjusters where you can back up and slam the brakes, and adjust the rears?

Depends on year IIR. Also we just put a new set of Firestones on my son's car and one was bad with a seperated belt and it had to be replaced.

Thanks, will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on year IIR. Also we just put a new set of Firestones on my son's car and one was bad with a seperated belt and it had to be replaced.

Okay, I'm definitely going to be looking at the tires tonight. Hopefully it will be light enough to pull the drum off, etc. I'll be looking for play in any and everything.

PS I did check the lugs, because a while back I had a similar problem, using too short a lug nut for the job, but they are the right ones on there now, and theyre all nice and tight.

How about a bad shock,
You see, this is the answer I was looking for. hahah Why else would it be only on one side? Damn. Something to think about. How does the shock bounce test work ? hahah

I'm going with the bad tire. I'm waiting on one tire for my Challenger. Problem would only appear between 55-70 mph. I'm still waiting on Goodyear and Purcell Tire Co, Let's see its now last of October this started the first of August.No tire and no date to look for one.

Sorry, but I believe the wheel bearings also. Had that happen on a highway trip and the noise for the last 100 miles sure got louder, gas mileage dropped like a rock also.

Auto Transport Service
Back