• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTF?! Getting the front brake pads replaced

Muskulls

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
I got to change the pads on my 73 Charger and find this
PXL_20230829_214503671.jpg

Add to that, the screws won't come out.
16933463180833502449947506659822.jpg

take a few days and make it beautiful, again, and your next pad change will be a dream.

Wut ? the audible wear sensors did their job, screeching as the pads dug a trench in the rotors :lol:
Not sure those would come with squealers..
But the rivets should have been adequate!!

OK, you have some work to do.

Medium pry bar in the slot of the top of the caliper into the rotor. Pull that bar as hard as you can till the caliper becomes "sloppy", 1/4" or so is all you need. Once your there get a boxed end wrench on the pin and give it a SOLID blow wit a dead blow hammer. It should crack them loose. Now you can take them out and lift the caliper off.

When the caliper is off leave one pad on the cylinder and use a C-Clamp to press it all the way back in. You will likley need to crack the master cylinder lid and wrap it with rags since it will push fluid back up into it. If it don't move, crack the bleeder. I it then moves your rubber is likley shot. If not you need calipers too.

If all the above goes good buy new pads, rotors, bearings, and a seal. Check the spindle for any damage too.

Clean, clean, clean everything and reassemble.

Good luck!

Just another day of owning a 50 year old car.

PB blaster and walk away for an hour. Spray everything.

At least the spindles survived.

You would be SMART to use *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** this time, rather than the Cheap Chineseum Garbage, that will do that repeatedly and continue to give you continued aggravation…..

Fortunately, I have *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** and they are NOT expensive….

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested….

Craig….

It's been a couple of weeks now. The brake system came off far easier and with no issues. The rotors will need to be replaced. All work I can do.

For those not aware, I've had the car for almost two years, in that time I've had very limited and short drives. I knew what I was getting into when I got her, but you do what you can when you have finally gotten your dream car after 30years. She's got a ton of work to be done, but she runs and stops and makes me smile to look at those lines.
I'll be on here to ask all the dumb, idiot questions as I go along.
Thanks for all your insights, thoughts, and general support.

Mopar On!

It's been a couple of weeks now. The brake system came off far easier and with no issues. The rotors will need to be replaced. All work I can do.

For those not aware, I've had the car for almost two years, in that time I've had very limited and short drives. I knew what I was getting into when I got her, but you do what you can when you have finally gotten your dream car after 30years. She's got a ton of work to be done, but she runs and stops and makes me smile to look at those lines.
I'll be on here to ask all the dumb, idiot questions as I go along.
Thanks for all your insights, thoughts, and general support.

Mopar On!
See post #15 !! you'll be thankful and glad you did. Give Craig a call, he's the go-to guy on this !

Auto Transport Service
Back