• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year one/m&h wiring installation

72_Charger

Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
I want to rewire my 72 Charger. I am waiting on all my new harnsesses I ordered from year one (m&h wiring). These are oem harnesses "plug and play." I am trying to get an idea of how many hours would be reasonable for a shop to charge for installation of the harnesses. I am replacing all of the harnesses including dash, engine, headlamps, tail lamps, wipers, etc....I don't have a/c, power windows/seats/etc.

Any input is appreciated. I just don't want to get over charged by a shop. I live in Houston if anyone knows of a good place to have it done.

I want to rewire my 72 Charger. I am waiting on all my new harnsesses I ordered from year one (m&h wiring). These are oem harnesses "plug and play." I am trying to get an idea of how many hours would be reasonable for a shop to charge for installation of the harnesses. I am replacing all of the harnesses including dash, engine, headlamps, tail lamps, wipers, etc....I don't have a/c, power windows/seats/etc.

Any input is appreciated. I just don't want to get over charged by a shop. I live in Houston if anyone knows of a good place to have it done.

any competent shop would give an estimate... but honestly I'd say 6-8 hours barring any and all issues ( rusted bolts, broken bolts things that want to break rather than come apart peacefully, etc etc )

6-8 hours isn't bad at all. I should mention that the car is in driving condition so they would have to take apart the dash. I have called 2 shops so far, one quoted 8-10 hours and the other said 35-40 hours!

35-40 hrs is ridiculous ! 8-10 is reasonable, I'm saying saying 6-8 in a perfect world .. Lets say every bolt, clip , fastener, screw comes out perfectly, nothing strips nothing breaks .., but lets be real.. your car is a '72 , chances of that are slim to none. I just did a '69 GTO , it took me 9 hours start to finish and this car was NOT in "good driver" condition .. this car was rough and fought every step of the way .

I have rewired both my 70 Cuda and 73 charger w/M&H, you can do it yourself easily. Just tag each connection on your old harness as you pull it off and then transfer to your new harness after you get the old one off. Hardest part is the dash harness, but it is not hard. Took me about 6-7 hours to do the dash and that was with me putting my dash back in after restoring.
Engine and front light harnesses are a breeze, you can install the new one while the old one is still on, just disconnect the old and connect the new.

Thanks for the replies. I might try to install the more basic harnesses, but I think I'll leave the dash harness to a shop. I dot think I'll have the time or patience to mess with it.

Hey im in the same boat. With the same year charger. I bought the harnesses from year one. I labeled the old one and removed it. Compared it to the new one. Seems like its missing a few things. AC, neutral safety swich.

The old one had some spices and missing conectors. A couple connectors weren't attached to anything. The car had AC(its missing now) and idk if it came with an air pump.

Do I have to splice those in (ac,neutral saftey switch ) or do I have the wrong harness? Anyone have pictures of the original? And has anyone had this problem?

Last edited:
the main harness for my 69 RR the a/c heat harness is a seperate item that i had to buy from Year One,the neutral safety switch was part of the wind shield wiper harness in the engine compartment.

You can do it yourself. I did the dash, engine and front headlight harnesses from Year One on my 72 satellite. Just be careful and check the wiring at the fuse block. M and H wiring did not put the main ignition wire in, but after that problem was found, the car started right up. Thankfully I had someone who had just wired his 72 roadrunner and know something about electrical problems. The wiring will be ready to plug and play.

Make sure you label the wires when you disconnect them and them lay out the old harness and compare the new harness. Everything should match up between the old and new.

Before :
1341777477323.jpg

1341777477168.jpg

Basically all the wiring looked like this:
1341777420333.jpg

1341777419715.jpg

After:

1343509368404.jpg

1343509382642.jpg

Just installed the M&H wiring harness in the Charger, looks awesome and looks factory.

Auto Transport Service
Back