• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yes believe it or not a computer question

Richie

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I'm not back with the old hard drive stuff but when it comes to these Solid State drives I have no clue. I put this question in a more or less know it all forum but it hasn't been answered yet..My WWII Combat sim forum.

Here's the question. If you have both a hard drive and a solid state drive in your computer do you install windows on both drives? All I want the solid state drive for is the game DCS. I imagine there's some tec. guys in here. :)

No, you set windows up on one.
I haven't messed with windows 10 in a while(never 11) but when you boot up there should be a key press prompt to go to BIOS and you should be able to set a boot order and a few other settings for the hard drives. You set windows to boot from whatever your hard drive is called. Should be able to set the SSD as a secondary.

Before my most recent rig, I actually did the opposite of what you did and put critical things on the SSD because of the speed. Windows, any game I was into, and then used the HDD for mass storage, windows back up file, etc. Got to enjoy the improved speed and still had plenty of storage.

To answer your question, no. Windows on either/or not both.

You could always get a large ssd and partition it. Windows on one partition and everything on the other partition(s). That way when windows takes a ****, your data is safe.

Also, spinning hard drives are not a matter of if, but when they will fail.

I deleted the partitions on both drives three days ago :BangHead:

anyway never mind things seem to be working.....oooookay on the HD just takes an episode of Justified to bootup DCS :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back