• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You Folks in British Columbia

For all the years going from Hope towards Langley. Going down in the long flat valley was weird. Seemed really odd. I did not know that whole area used to be a Lake. They sucked it dry for farming back after the stone age.

Scary thing is that Vancouver is also built in an earthquake zone as well. I really try to avoid the place mainly because it's too crowded for what I like.

We got lucky here on southern Vancouver Island compared to the lower mainland. Our only highway north to the rest of the Island was quite a mess and was closed for a short time, but it's back open again and things are moving. Our ferry system stepped up adding sailings both to/from the island as well as from Victoria to Nanaimo which is a very cool thing. They also added dedicated cargo-only sailings to get goods to areas in need. Having said that though, most gas stations here are closed with no fuel (welcome to 1974!) and the grocery stores are being ravaged by the panicked. Humans are the dumbest of animals some times....

257926655_10158047665466573_1340877384824856980_n.jpg

Thanks for the updates guys

stay safe

I'm thinking of youz guyz

They got one of the 3 highways open to the interior so trucks with food etc. are now making it through. I think one of the railroads will be going again first part of next week so the chinese goods can get through. Another storm is coming in the next few days but chances are pretty good it won't be as bad.

:praying: Been praying for days for those poor folks. Good Lord, the forces of nature sometimes...
beyond comprehension.

I think there's about 15,000 dairy cattle in the prairie, they've lost about 10% of them so far.

It's been pretty bad, the loss of livestock is catastrophic. They were estimating that dairy farms were dumping/losing 1.5 million litres (400k gallons) of milk per day as the trucks couldn't get to the farms. In the lowest lying areas, water was 15-20' deep in the barns. The main causes were the Nooksack river in WA flooding north and one of the dykes in Sumas Prairie burst, which made it impossible for the pump station to keep up. In fact, they thought the pumps were going to fail completely on Wednesday, which would have resulted in the Fraser River flooding onto the prairie as well. That would have added another 10-15' of water within an hour!

One request? Could you divert some of that water south please?

Hopefully the next storm fails to do much... My thoughts are with you guys...

We got lucky here on southern Vancouver Island compared to the lower mainland. Our only highway north to the rest of the Island was quite a mess and was closed for a short time, but it's back open again and things are moving. Our ferry system stepped up adding sailings both to/from the island as well as from Victoria to Nanaimo which is a very cool thing. They also added dedicated cargo-only sailings to get goods to areas in need. Having said that though, most gas stations here are closed with no fuel (welcome to 1974!) and the grocery stores are being ravaged by the panicked. Humans are the dumbest of animals some times....

View attachment 1196271
My God, that looks like the log flume ride ride at six flags!! Be safe!!

So as expected, more rain means more flooding. Highway 1 had be reopened between Chilliwack and Abbotsford for a couple of days, but it's closed again. Heavy rains again are causing chaos, as the rising Nooksack river in Washington is overflowing and the result ends up over here. Tuesday could be worse yet.
This is the Nooksack... I only know about our local flooding but I'm sure there must be a similar disaster over the border in Washington at the moment. You can make out the original river and the dikes that were along the banks.
upload_2021-11-28_18-54-28.png

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/t...g-as-nooksack-river-tops-its-banks/ar-AARemQ5
https://www.abbynews.com/news/nooks...to-abbotsford-sunday-as-more-rain-forecasted/

Auto Transport Service
Back