• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You Folks in British Columbia

They think about 2 months till Coq will reopen
Stores are getting cleaned out
Should be a slow route open next couple of days

It was sure a torrent. Luckily my house was not flooded, but a LOT of roads and highways were shut down yesterday and still today.
The border crossing into the USA at Sumas was shut down for obvious reasons:
ryan.jpg

By mid afternoon the rains had stopped...this was a farmer's field.
upload_2021-11-16_19-14-42.png

Unfortunately, lives have been lost in one of the mudslides.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/c...slide-on-b-c-highway-during-extreme-rainstorm

Yea,BC been hit with what ever mother nature has.Stay safe for sure
Have a very good friend in Abbotsford, walked to the pedestrian overpass on Number 1 hwy. Nothing but water to the east.
The Sumas Prairie is to be evacuated. It is a 20 mile square lakebed drained about 1910. For the last 10,000 years it has been an overflow for the Fraser River and the Nooksack river in the USA. Last flood was about 30 years ago, what was expected. Apparently there might be several thousand milk cows left behind and possibly a million chickens.
One thing I was always told, going back I think was ( BUILD ON HIGH GROUND).
We had high water at our lake, and other lakes in the province a few years ago. Neighbours 400 feet away had to pump their holding tanks out about every 3 weeks, we had no problem. There might be a 4 foot elevation difference. One time we were lucky. We pray for all those who ar affected by this on the West Coast.

Wow,
I didn't realize how bad it was. I'll be looking for some place to send money

Damn that's looking bad

Stay safe my northern friends
Mother Nature is a cruel BITCH sometimes

I've driven thru/stayed in your lovely country/Territory
a few times heading to Yukon Terr. & to Alaska
so sad to see all that destruction, both floods & fires

we have alike/the common denominators are

Poor leadership of
both water or forestry management problems
of the natural resources, too concerned about eco-nazi BS
Green grant scams, some smelt, some moth, some bird,
some rodents or just 'activists' stopping all of it etc.
(moratoriums, logging or water retention, dams, electricity :blah: )
instead of helping the people/HUMANS that work, pay taxes
& keep the place going/thriving & safe

I can somewhat relate
We here in rural Calif. have some of the same types of ailments
that plague US 'NOW' too
we also never had them issues 20-25+ years ago
when we controlled/managed the water & forestry better,
logging is a huge part, they kept the forest floor clean
(in areas where humans & nature often meet)
removed the diseased trees, downed trees & cleared brush
cut logging roads 'that act as fire breaks', especially near towns/cities
& the businesses that support them too
it employs/ed millions, good-paying skilled labor jobs
& add the recreation/damns bodies of controlled waters etc.
that help tame/control-manage water retention way better,
then mother nature does in our combined 'Human/natural environments'
we need to help/control some of it...

best of luck, stay safe & try to stay dry
:luvplace:

Last edited:
Abbotsford is still under water, the province is in an official state of emergency. Trying to keep water out, the Abbotsford pumping station is moving half a million gallons of water per minute but it is getting overwhelmed from water coming in from the USA. Which makes me ask...how are you folks in Washington?
flood-ravaged-british-columbia-declares-state-of-emergency1637192426-scaled.jpg

Entire cities (such as Merrit) have been evacuated so far. Tens of thousands of livestock animals are expected to be drowned as well.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/devastating-flooding-forces-184-people-184400365.html
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/351848/Critical-pump-station-holds-overnight-in-Abbotsford

It looks like it'll be a long time before disruptions get back to normal. There are four main highways that connect British Columbia with the rest of the country (Highways 1, 3, 5 and 99) and all four were shut down. Trucks, thousands of them, aren't able to move their usual steady flow of goods back and forth.

upload_2021-11-18_8-57-36.png

As well, both major railroads (CN and CP) have had problems with slides or bridges meaning rail traffic is disrupted too. That means that incoming rail traffic such as bulk trains of potash, coal, wheat and such won't be heading west to our ports. And the shipments destined for the east like bulk freight shipments, lumber, auto carriers and hundreds of containers per day are stuck here.

This is one of our provincial highways (#7) at Ruby Creek, used for traffic between the Vancouver area and the interior of the province.

highway-7-landslide.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back