• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You probably already know this.....

MOPARENT

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Back in the day,...Picture it:..Another beautiful Maine summer underway, headin' to the rented beachhouse in the '68.... Air shocks pumped, trunk full of beer, food and ice, backseat full of half-drunk-n-***** girls, gas tank full, tools and a full spare also in the trunk....Launch over a mild double railroad crossing......Ka-Bang!! ..What the hell was that? Nothing fell off in the rearview, sooo let's keep rolling...The next day: Hungover, headin' out for coffee alone, strange new noise going over even the slightest bump coming from the rear....can't see anything broke or hanging, all looks good.....weird,... wtf?..... Later in the week, up on the lift for an oil change, notice air shocks are sitting at a funny angle...okayyyyy......Holy ****! The entire shock crossbar is snapped off on both sides!!!

Dammnnn!

Turns out that the shock bar is NOT designed to hold a lot of weight, and thanks to the air shocks, it got all it wanted!!

Three preventive measures quickly came to mind... 1. Get rid of the air shocks. 2. Get lighter girlfriends. 3. Quit drinking beer

I was ok with 1 and 2....

Thus began my love affair with lift shackles!!!

Anyone else ever make this "shocking" discovery?

You don’t need shackles - you can just get the “add a leaf” partial leaf springs from Summit. That’ll give you a nice 2” and a pretty rake.....

I bought a 1968 Charger in 1973 for $300.00 because the previous owner put air shocks on it to raise the rear up while he was towing a heavy trailer with a car on it. It was too much weight on the hitch and the rather flimsy shock brace bar and it bent the daylights out of it. Since I was a welder and fabricator at the time I just repaired it with some new heavier steel.

Auto Transport Service
Back