• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your build is done....what is your biggest dissapointment?

Good post, did not get much from the answers, Budnicks thanks for the feedback...

My cars are never "finished", and there's always a couple in the wings.....ready to gobble money and time.

With the size of your ride I would replace the Bias-Ply with a set o Radials. However keep the Bias- Ply's for when showing it and all. But those things are so dangerous and bad...IMHO...that I would rather be safe than sorry. Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag:
I only take it to shows, hang outs or having a beer by it in the garage, lol, so it is not an issue....max distance is about 10 miles one way. If I did drive it more etc...you are correct on using radials.

Great post Darius.

Since I drove mine across country and have about 5800 miles on it, I feel like I can now evaluate my build.

Like you, I am THRILLED about my car. It really turned out great and my regrets are really nit picking. But in that spirit, here is goes:
1) I regret not using DOT 5 brake fluid. My Dot 3 leaked from a brand new master cylinder and screwed up my paint on my inner fender. Grrrrrr.

2) I had a 1970 AM radio modified for Bluetooth, AM/FM, input jack, etc. I regret modifying the AM radio, because trying to find an FM station is a pain in the arse. You have to guess where on the AM band any given FM frequency is.

3) I regret that I did not buy Legendary door panels. My door panels have really soft, crappy cardboard that gets destroyed even trying to install it first time with the door clips. Removal (which I now need to do on the passenger door to fix a rattle) will screw it up even more.

4) My driver fender had been hit at the headlight and had a sharp crease there, but it was 100% rust free so I had it fixed. The "tin knocker" who fixed it did an amazing job. The problem is that the opening still ended up with an ever so slight upward slant. This means the trim does not fit perfectly. There was no way to see this until the trim was installed. Lesson learned: I should have trial fit the trim before it was painted and installed so it could be further "tweaked".

That really is it. On the other end, here are a few things that I am really happy I installed:
1) The US Car Tool stiffening kit. The car handles so much better (selected upgraded bushings, etc. didn't hurt either).

2) My Firm Feel steering box. Fantastic function and feel.

3) Fuel Injection. Once set up, it worked flawlessly in every condition.

4) My hidden A/C. Hey, I'm getting old - I like my creature comforts.

5) My overdrive trans. It makes taking the car for a trip a real joy since the engine is not spinning at 3000+ RPM the whole time.

Really, the bottom line is my car is a joy to drive, so I drive it. I highly recommend folks build their street car so it is nice place to be. If you do that, you will drive it and enjoy it more!

Hawk

Unfortunately I'm just starting my mopar, just finished my wife's 68 mustang (3yrs in the making). I've been collecting ( hopefully) the right parts for the last 2 years.... I'm just afraid of chosing the wrong combo....FBBO has been a great resource but at times only add to my confusion/ indecision. There is a lot of great advice/expierence here and just trying to retain it all is a chore. I keep telling myself it will be what it will be...thanks for the thread!

Hmmmm, body and paint is always my beef with every car I build. With my Charger the bodywork drug out over such a long period that I think the filler absorbed a bit of moisture and now has a few blemishes:BangHead:. The good news is the color hides all in the sunlight but it pisses me off.
I've got 7,000 miles on it and love everything about the car, no noise and handles wonderful.
Your car is top notch, enjoy it.

I'm just starting... my 1973 Charger. I put over 4k into into rebuilding the engine and transmission... and some electrical stuff. My problem is my lack of funds due to the fact that I'm only 18 years old... and working hard to bring in whatever $$$ I can!

I love my car. The sounds, the smells, the whole experience.
What I used to be bothered with was being able to relax and enjoy the car. For several years, I worried about damage, scratches, theft...I couldn't drive and park it without keeping a close eye on it. It isn't perfect but I was stressed at the thought of a door ding every time I parked it.
I have gone on 4 road trips with an average of 1000 miles each time. Now I am getting better at relaxing and enjoying the car.

I cant say I really have any complaints about my car as it does what I wanted and drives real nice. I agree that they are never really done as we are always adding something. I guess the only thing I would change is I wish I had put a Dana in my car when I had the money. The 8-3/4 is holding up fine but I do worry about it. Ron

Really great replies guys. My hope was to maybe help others into or planning a build gain some perspective from a different perspective than what we typically read here. I enjoy reading how others feel about their experiences.
This has actually had me thinking about other "things" but they fall into the same groups of issues many have mentioned.
Bottom line is ,yes, we are never really DONE tinkering and modifying in some way but that is ( most times) the joy of the hobby!

Being new to it and in the thick of it...the amount of time and cash it will take is numbing. I think the biggest regret I WILL have is if I keep it an automatic. I love 4 speeds and would love to convert it. I'm contemplating replacing the floor pan anyway and would be a good time to weld in the hump. Finding pedals and linkage is probably the biggest challenge for a 64 and it really boils down to whether I'll be able to drive it this summer or not due to the time it will take. It's already at risk as the pace is so slow at trying to get the repairs done to the cowl.
I sent the 727 to a buddy to overhaul and I feel like telling him to hold off while I search for pedals & the 833, since it will cost a grand and it would be wasted. Once I tell him that though, I definitely won't have either transmission for the summer... At this point I think I will complete it as an automatic and go 4 speed at a later date if I still want to. It's just difficult to envision tearing it apart again.

I'll take the advice, mine isn't done yet. What I know so far is that once you do one thing and drive around with it for a bit, you find maybe something else would look or work better. I have been doing more or less trial and error items. My engine bay has transformed since the motor swap, but I am watching the comments, horsman about the door panels etc so keep posting, so far my budget hasn't allowed me to go full restoration but as I get to the body and paint stage now I regret having my headliner done proffesionally since now some of it has to come down to fix rust holes in the rear window, things like that where you have to do it 3 times or more and the cost exceeds the value. Oh and then thers picking the wrong body shop to do your cars body and piant thing too lol!

If we're giving advice on here I'm going to keep banging the gong OVERDRIVES ARE THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST THING YOU CAN EVER DO TO A CLASSIC CAR IF BUILDING A STREET MACHINE HANDS DOWN.
Having had built my share of older cars the one thing I always dislike is the "should I gear for launches or sacrifice launch for sanity on the freeway" decision. I'm running a Viper 6 speed with 3:55s and it is an absolute dream in every aspect of driving when it comes to gearing. Best money you can spend not to mention I'm getting around 20 mpg on the freeway with a 456 stroker.

Holy crap...20 mpg? How is that possible with that big of an engine? My 2007 Ram 5.7 never gets that unless I'm driving 55.

I've gotten high teens with the Tremec TKO-5. That was highway-loafing in Nevada with low octane crap gas. 18.something. All time high. Not easy to drive 55...

I figure my 6.4 with the NAG1, should get mid 20's. No cats, 2.94 rear, and in a 6-800lb lighter car than a SRT.

I have been the caretaker of my junk for well over 25 years.It's always been 5 steps forward and 2 back.I drive to the local hang out and even throw it up on the flatbed for some of the further car shows.On a good season I get to the track 5 times.
My problem is I can't do what I used to do.The head says yes but the body says NO!I am fortunate to have many friends that now help me with the things I can't do.I have access to a lift anytime I need. The problem with the car addiction is we give up many family things to have,maintain & improve our cars. This getting old **** sucks.
I have decided after achieving my goal last season of a 9.5 pass,that this season is an 8 second slip and that's IT!!
I would love to join LEE in the weight loss program,but I'm loosing in the motor-vation dept..Yea I can loose the 1st 100 lbs real easy,but then it becomes laborious and expensive. So a few tenths are not that important.After I get my 8 sec ET, I'll just go back to mid nine's on pump gas and enjoy without the tuning thrash.This **** is expensive.My closest track is abot 70 miles away,Must cost about 3 to $400 hundred for a day at the track and biz is bad for the last few monthes,,,,,,,,,,

7.21.15 092.jpg 11223807_1612015082388803_5814688537689511185_n.jpg 11262106_1612016045722040_1991279657064850817_n.jpg

I have the 5.7 with a nag1 8 3/4-2:76
Over a recent 1650 mile road trip I averaged 18.5 mpg very seldom under 80 mph.

Morning Every Body. Hope it's ok if i throw in to the mix with opinion.
747 illustrates a Strong point....if You have BB's, for, for ET's....OD is absolute for a driver with tractability, practicality and give the crank a break....lengthens overall life, saves gas......makes fwy driving a relaxed exp. Instead of work.
Im curiou if anybody has broke even on a mopar build? Barrett mentality having pushed the cost of parts so high? For the concourse Purists that have to be absolute OE.....concourse is ridiculously expensive....hours & hours......for DIY, more ridiculous paying some one elses time. Forget not exceeding overall value. We have a 57 Ford Skyliner retract hardtop.Concourse, the car is only worth 140k @ top.......my opinion.....could not be put in concourse for anything less than 150k if you account time....concourse is **** ****...not my bag at all......function over form dictates alterations, kills OE value.
The 57 in Excellent cond. Is 90k @ top. Its all there, but frame off rotiss, 100 pt redo of all hardware and time counted as cost.....90k will get eaten up rather quickly.
However, the GTO Z here is a safe investment. #3 Joe Alphabet Alpha One GTO, fake Ferrari body kits were only a handful before enzo sued Alphabet out of game....molds went to Tom McBernie. The Alphas were sold with genuine OEM Ferrari GTO trim...ala Enzo & why Enzo roasted Joe.....only 39 GTO race cars, hand built were ever made & sold to buyers Enzo Selected....so OEM Lusso parts were not stocked shelf items.....Enzo & nobody else can figure how Joe got the limited sets to begin with. The roller pictured here as said is # 3 kit....the car is 76 280 Z.....BUT.....just a couple mos ago, car went to Az dmv & received its OWN vin#, Not a reconstruct...officially titled as 1962
Alpha GT..Paul lost a 2k deposit, ******* the deal. As pictured w trailer, fresh paint & rubber, never rolled, except back home from paint & tyres....pkg is to me, 12.5 K, w the Ferrari hardware......i worked on this & # 2 kit on 240 Z in 83 & 84.....i jacketed frame rails on both in 1/8 plate, some triangulating & gusseting for SB v8's

IMG_20160507_131718.jpg
GD it!! 1/2 the text disappeared!! I hate this new format! BS! 20160321_111947_resized.jpeg 20160321_112525-1-1_resized.jpeg 20160321_174311_resized_1.jpeg
A pisser Joey!!
Anyone understanding the correlation between Ford, Ferrari, Shelby American, Pete Brock, & Datsun, can see the history of racing legends to be tributed in this build. Pisses me off i have to retype this crap. The GTO IS the most valuable car in world w/ documented private sale of 52M....worth easily 3 times the car that dethroned its reign @ le mans, the GT-40.....but the Daytona Coupe did it first, in class, in 64...hence a coupe' clone motor to be slipped in this fake. Cobra Halibrand knock offs, Boranni Wires are worth a house.
I had all this typed, tried to upload poto and wiped half the text.
This is a secure investment that will ascend as long as there is a shred of economy. Potential sales are exclusive to LA Basin to one who buys to KEEP, & requisite is I, Me am intrinsic to build, otherwise it just goes back into storage. Including purchase price, w/ cobra coupe' clone motor.....the build can be kept to 35 K in outlay for parts.....time is relevant, so count 20 k as labor. 55k & turn key, worth every bit of that, @ 2500 lbs turn key, w/ 400 hp, it will be a fomidable bitch.
Petersen Publishing has already started photo library, are stunned at resurfacing of two originsl Alpha One GTO's, and want to track this build all way through, when resumed.....car jaded Petersen is excited.
So, someone that wants different, rare, revolves around some of greatest racing history ever, as a KEEPER, safe investment that will gain, lives in LA Basin, or nearby......and wants to keep costs below 60 K (my labor/love comes cheap, just keep me and the pup alive), will agree to letting me be large part of build......this is a sweet sweet deal....again...not about money, about building a FAST Tribute to racing, the likes of which we will never see again since racing has gone down politically correct horseshit road.
Alpha GT is to be Black(far bettet loking than red) with red & blue BRE stripes running diagonal downn fender sides

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back