• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most dependable vehicle.....Mopar or not

This car is my secret weapon. Pontiac Vibe. They sell for cheap because it says Pontiac but it's really a Toyota Matrix. Cheap and fun with a 5 speed. The odometer rolls over at 300,00 but they last longer. Watch this Vibe pull 1.5 g's at 123 mph in a right-hand sweeper.

Dependable doesn't begin to describe it! Ha! 89 Toyota SR5 pickup, 2.4 long bed, column auto w/overdrive. Currently 92,000 miles so only 300,000 more to go!

20160823_085641.jpg
20160823_085656.jpg
20160821_173832.jpg
20160821_173918.jpg

I had an 87 Ford Ranger 2 wheel drive that had 330 k on and was still running when I sold it. It had the 2.3 liter and the 5 speed. Never into the engine or transmission, just routine stuff like a water pump, alternator and maintenance.
My 2002 F250 7.3 made it to 188k miles of very trouble free use , then some drunk looser smashed and totaled it while it was parked. Only stranded me once in 19 years when clutch hydraulic failed. I’m convinced it was going to go over 300k easy but damn.

A 2006 Honda Accord manual trans that we bought new. All 5 of our kids learned to drive in it. Just flipped 310,000 miles on it this past weekend.

2014 Town and Country by far. Every single newer vehicle I've owned starts needing wheel bearings, tie rods, sway bar links, etc by 125,000 not to mention rust starts to set in. The Van has almost 180,000 on it, no rust, nothing replaced on the suspension.. the only thing I've fixed is an oil leak under the intake.

06. 15 years old. Think it was stuck in Park once. Easy fix. Daily driver. I romp on it once in a while. Short hop severe duty hasn’t harmed it. Linda hard on the brakes. She wants to keep it. Tried to talk her into a new HC Charger. Wouldn’t do it. Probably the best most reliable car in the fleet. This was in the Daimler days. Paint was creamier. Original. No accidents, kids, or smoke.
A631C84E-F61A-4FBD-90E2-C48700B8AD3C.jpeg

Have to be this one. I've owned it about 6 years and other than normal fluid maintenance the only problem I've had is repairing the right window lift. My 18 Ram just broke the exhaust manifold bolts and Peugeot sent an update to the radio that destroyed it and I had to wait 2 months for a new one. Wife's Mercedes is just german junk too.

viper5.JPG

Toyota Highlander(s) - we have had two (2004 & current 2012). All you have to do is change the oil and tires as needed. Just put first new brakes on the 2012 with over 120k on them. Never needed alignment. Put a new belt on engine a couple years ago. Hatchback lift motor is in need of some work right now and that’s pretty much it.

Anything jeep with a 4.0.
Miss my cherokee, if it broke it was my fault.

Probably my 02 Ram 2500 had near 350 on the clock and only let me down once ( stranded) and got hurt but let me limp home.
That thing was so loud I would have to shut it off anytime I went through a drive through. Well it decided not to start after I got my order.
Luckily Whataburger had two lanes and with a little help was able to get it over where the mgr said I could leave it for a bit.
Ran down bought a starter and it being 4x4 had it changed out un minutes.
The other was when the stupid lift pump went out which starved the VP44 but was able to limp home without damaging it. I think I ended up putting an inline BD or FASS

My 58 power wagon I know if all the world goes to ****, it will be there for me.
My 71 power wagon will do the same but it's being rebuilt now from an accident , even with the accident a bungee cord holding the door shut I am still able to drive it around.
20210821_105920.jpg
20210815_102347.jpg
20191020_114355.jpg

Last edited:
I always think of Toyota for long-lasting vehicles but...my brother had a Sequoia with the V8. He lives in KC so not real rough weather. The whole rear frame rusted out. He had to junk it.

The Toyota truck/SUV frame saga of late is well known and everybody knows about it. Toyota has done owners right by replacing those trucks/SUV frames affected. In some cases going back years to my amazement. Older trucks like mine still continue to have perfect frames however depending where they were used (road salt) the bodies didn't last long. None would. Because I have owned several late 80's early 90's Toyota pickups I can say they are for the most part bullit proof. The 22RE is recognized as the best 4 cylinder ever produced. The Japanese built models such as mine are better built than the models built here. VIN will start with a J.

44 years of driving the Bee and I've never walked home!

Yeah i gotta say i lost some belts and coolant saturday but still was able to drive 40 minutes home in my 69 charger.
I think thats pretty good. :D

Yeah i gotta say i lost some belts and coolant saturday but still was able to drive 40 minutes home in my 69 charger.
I think thats pretty good. :D
1982 I drove 1/2 way across Toronto with zero coolant in the block to make it to my last engineering exam. Blew a lower block frost plug and needed to get there. Still driving the Bee with the same engine AND water pump!

My 69 Malibu is the most dependable vehicle I own. It’s been all over the eastern US. I live in NJ, it’s been to NC, ME, Niagara Falls several times, Cleveland several times. Did 2500 miles on power tour in 2019. It’s never left me stranded anywhere. It’s just a little 307, 2BBL, powerglide car. It has just under 40,000 miles since I rebuilt it 20 years ago.

210EAD0D-0543-4E50-AA2E-98A632318AE6.jpeg

Way back when I had bought new, an 84 carburated SR5 4x4
& a used 85 EFI Toyota SR5 4x4's
2 of my girls ended up with them
I dove them for commuters more than anything
the 84
I had when I lived in Alaska never left me stranded
& I was in some faraway places
the 85
I got when I got back to Calif., some 3 years later
I put some 300k on it
wore out the rear-end after 300k+,