• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your take on mixing brands of rear end oils.

Shitcan the synthetic. Get a good brand of dino oil (my friend who ran a one-man rearend shop always used and recommended Torco), and two bottles of ford/autolite lsd additive. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Shitcan the synthetic. Get a good brand of dino oil (my friend who ran a one-man rearend shop always used and recommended Torco), and two bottles of ford/autolite lsd additive. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.
Amazing what we all learn.

This is my first time to use syn rear end oil after doing a bunch of research and probably won't ever do it again! Just shows to goya......but I used 2 bottles of the Mopar LSD additive. So far so good but like I said earlier, going to get things warmed up good and see how it acts. So far so good with a cold rear end.

This is my first time to use syn rear end oil after doing a bunch of research and probably won't ever do it again! Just shows to goya......but I used 2 bottles of the Mopar LSD additive. So far so good but like I said earlier, going to get things warmed up good and see how it acts. So far so good with a cold rear end.
75-140 is ok not sure with a lsd takink that as a limited slip differential.

75-140 is ok not sure with a lsd takink that as a limited slip differential.
That's what I put in it initially....Mobil 1 syn 75-140 with the LSD additive built in....then I added some more additive and it didn't help at all. So, It's out and in went the regular oil with the Mopar additive and it's acting better.

That's what I put in it initially....Mobil 1 syn 75-140 with the LSD additive built in....then I added some more additive and it didn't help at all. So, It's out and in went the regular oil with the Mopar additive and it's acting better.
cone clutch?

cone clutch?
No....this is a Dana 70 which uses the same setup as a 60. Clutches and well, I've have more problems with clutch type LSD's than the 8 3/4 cone units for some reason.

No....this is a Dana 70 which uses the same setup as a 60. Clutches and well, I've have more problems with clutch type LSD's than the 8 3/4 cone units for some reason.
It seems time for a change

Talking with Cass aka Dr. Diff, he stated that they did a study on the additives (friction modifiers) and the one that held up the longest was the Motorcraft (Ford). They do break down over a period of time. Any local Ford dealer carries it for around $7.00
XL3_Motorcraft_1_600x600.jpg

Talking with Cass aka Dr. Diff, he stated that they did a study on the additives (friction modifiers) and the one that held up the longest was the Motorcraft (Ford). They do break down over a period of time. Any local Ford dealer carries it for around $7.00
View attachment 1125099

Oops, said ford/autolite. Guess i meant ford/motorcraft.
At least there was a spark of truth......

It seems time for a change
Naw....it's in there now and ain't about to tear into it again....plus what little bit I drove it around after pulling out the syn, it shows improvement.

View attachment 1125099
The Mopar stuff seems to be working....

Auto Transport Service
Back