• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yup, another fuel gage question......

..checked sender terminal to good ground----zero'd out..
0...you noted on another post, gauge wire was still hooked up.
Well....im totally confused by now.... i set meter at R1, tested, and now reads 17 ohms...
So, your down to the sender itself. Your also getting a reading. Like I said, I'd pull it, look, and test it's ohm reading. That's the only way you'll know what's going on.

At least you positively know the problem is the sender. Doesn't mean it has to be replaced! Could be fixed...your call.

0...you noted on another post, gauge wire was still hooked up.

So, your down to the sender itself. Your also getting a reading. Like I said, I'd pull it, look, and test it's ohm reading. That's the only way you'll know what's going on.
At least you positively know the problem is the sender. Doesn't mean it has to be replaced! Could be fixed...your call.

Thanks for the help, i will b a while before i can attempt a sender removal, (never did one and gotta read up on that procedure), but will post up results.
Thanks to all for all the info.

Well boys, I'm back......installing brand new sending unit from Tanksinc....before I installed, I hooked up red lead from meter to the sender wire connection, black lead to the face plate of the sender....with float all the way down (empty)--- 77ohms, with float all the way up (full)---11ohms....was told from the seller this is proper.....
Hooked up the wire from the gage to sender connection, hooked up very good clean body ground wire to the faceplate.....turned key on------ float at "empty", gage reads empty, float at "full", gage reads between 1/2 & 3/4.....if I bend the stop tab out of the way, and move float up past the stop, i can get gage to read full, meaningless, since there needs to be a stop......if i place float at 1/2way point, gage reads empty.....I'm done....all the testing led to this PITA job with no results. I even took original sender and metered that---- 73ohms empty, 10 ohms full---perfect.
Time for aftermarket gage......will that work with current sender?

It's not each ends ohms that matters.. it's NOT a linear scale on an OE sending unit because the float sweep vs sender movement isn't either. Repros, in general, are linear on the rheostat so you get a compromise at the gauge. No gauge will give you what you want, it's the senders linear rheostat that's the issue!

It's not each ends ohms that matters.. it's NOT a linear scale on an OE sending unit because the float sweep vs sender movement isn't either. Repros, in general, are linear on the rheostat so you get a compromise at the gauge. No gauge will give you what you want, it's the senders linear rheostat that's the issue!
Lol! I have no idea what you just said! But, my senders are both aftermarket....
And-- I did find this......https://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/5719/10002/-1

Last edited:
Well boys, I'm back......installing brand new sending unit from Tanksinc....before I installed, I hooked up red lead from meter to the sender wire connection, black lead to the face plate of the sender....with float all the way down (empty)--- 77ohms, with float all the way up (full)---11ohms....was told from the seller this is proper.....
Hooked up the wire from the gage to sender connection, hooked up very good clean body ground wire to the faceplate.....turned key on------ float at "empty", gage reads empty, float at "full", gage reads between 1/2 & 3/4.....if I bend the stop tab out of the way, and move float up past the stop, i can get gage to read full, meaningless, since there needs to be a stop......if i place float at 1/2way point, gage reads empty.....I'm done....all the testing led to this PITA job with no results. I even took original sender and metered that---- 73ohms empty, 10 ohms full---perfect.
Time for aftermarket gage......will that work with current sender?
Yeah, I get 3/4 tank reading from my sender when the tank is full. I just live with it. You would think by now somebody would be making a good repop but I guess not

Yeah, I get 3/4 tank reading from my sender when the tank is full. I just live with it. You would think by now somebody would be making a good repop but I guess not
IF I got 3/4 at full, and some sorta believable readings with 1/2. 1/4 etc, I would live with it too. But, all I get is the 3/4, then almost empty.....

IF I got 3/4 at full, and some sorta believable readings with 1/2. 1/4 etc, I would live with it too. But, all I get is the 3/4, then almost empty.....
yeah that sucks. I'ts a crap shoot with the aftermarket senders. Hey FBBO vendors, you have a wide open market for whoever can reproduce a "working" sending unit!

Auto Transport Service
Back