• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zero Turn Mower Suggestions

At $1000 per wheel...yikes!
I wouldnt buy them for my current mower. Id trade in for a mower that had them as an option. I think you can get them on a new mower for less than half of that. My current mower has about six to ten plugs in each of all four tires. Annoying as hell having to plug a tire every week

131B158F-18C7-4B5C-9921-B113AF95BBF9.png

when I was looking for a new mower, the deere dealer was steering me away from a deere z-turn was pushing me towards husqvarna! I bought an x540 simply because I tow a cyclone rake with it and felt the z-turn wouldn't work so good on hills with the vac.

So my wife suggested I get a mower(suprised), bought a shitty MTD 11 years ago and never complained, has a broken motor mount, carb is wired open and tire has 3 bottles of slime in it and still leaks. POS. Any way I found this for 2k. 195hrs, Kohler 7000(22hp), new filter, oil(mobil1), battery tender, service records, books, spare blades, mulch kit and a five gallon fuel tank oh and the guy filled it up always used non ethanol. Guy lived in a "devolpment" so only plush grass. 2 bad things, I realized my wife has been dumping Amazon boxes in my shop all winter while I've been remodeling and pretty sure that 2k was for my engine again.
Atleast the Cummins got out for the first time in months. Hope the Ariens is what I expected since its a local company.
20210322_181259.jpg
20210322_181220.jpg

My neighbor has an Ariens and he likes it a lot. We bought our first zero turn last August because I just couldn't push the mower for 90 minutes anymore with no cartlilage left in my hip. We ended up with a Husqvarna Z248F - which is plenty big enough for our yard. It really came down to buying from a local dealer who services them, too after looking at several brands that were similar in quality and price. And we got a good deal plus we got a 10% first responder discount that Husky offers. It has a Kawasaki engine, and we got the mulch kit on it. I have a new hip since then, but it'll still be nice to have making mowing a lot quicker - especially when it's twice a week in the spring. So far we're happy with it.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

No photos, but I have a Cub Cadet 54" steering-wheel zero turn (no need to become a bar-ninja to mow across hills!). Kawasaki motor, zero issues in the 10 years I've had it. I give it fresh Rotella every spring, and I think I've replaced the belt twice.

This looks like the current version:
https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/view...ml#prefn1=series&prefv1=RZT SX Series&start=1

"4 wheel steer" is active-steer front wheels, as well as variable-speed rear wheels, all tied to the steering wheel. Works like a champ, I can get my 4 acres done in an hour to an hour and a half. Hills, multiple trees (like, 50 or so), fencing, flowerbeds. It also has a fabricated (not stamped) deck, so it's uber-tough and so far rust-free.

What ever you buy, buy it from a dealer that provides parts, service, and warranty. Lowes and Home Depot doesn't.

Last edited:
I have a TORO timecutter5000 and have beat the crap out of it for about 9 years. I have had to weld the deck two times and done several other repairs but for as much as I mow and as hard as I am on its been good. I will probably get another one this year and use this one for the steep slope out by the road where it sometimes slides down in the ditch and is hard on the deck.

The frame on my Simplicity zero turn was mint. I hated the idea of tossing the unit because of a cracked engine block so I looked at replacing the block or engine. I ended up finding a lawnmower repair shop in a nearby town that had a used John Deere engine that would fit. I lucked out on that deal...I drop off the mower and he replaces what's needed for $600. I wanted to drop it off that day because of the unbelievable price. This machine now purrs like a kitten and works like a charm. Better than new. :thumbsup:

Another good twist to my saga...

I ordered a John Deere zero turn from a Canadian hardware store named Rona. I compared prices and they were exactly $1000 cheaper than everyone else (their mistake). They even had a no tax weekend sale. Ordered one, all paid up, was told 1 week delivery. Waited 3 months, many calls and emails later and nothing came. I ended up having words with the manager. He told me the order was canceled months ago because of lack of inventory (ya right). I argued they had my money for 3 months and wanted compensation for that. I asked for all my money back and $500 in gift cards. Yes sir, no problem. Done. Gotta love when this kinda **** happens.

The frame on my Simplicity zero turn was mint. I hated the idea of tossing the unit because of a cracked engine block so I looked at replacing the block or engine. I ended up finding a lawnmower repair shop in a nearby town that had a used John Deere engine that would fit. I lucked out on that deal...I drop off the mower and he replaces what's needed for $600. I wanted to drop it off that day because of the unbelievable price. This machine now purrs like a kitten and works like a charm. Better than new. :thumbsup:
Now you have a hybrid! :thumbsup:

What ever you buy, buy it from a dealer that provides parts, service, and warranty. Lowes and Home Depot doesn't.
Exactly.. I buy from my local outdoor Power Equipment places only... I do Property Maintenance for a living so when I go there my stuff was purchased there I get bumped to the front of the line... The guy who bought his stuff from Lowes or Home Depot to save $10 gets pushed off to when they can fit him in.... It pays to shop there as not being able to do what you want when you want sucks...

I like Deere but I stay away from Kawasaki engines , I’ll take a Briggs any day. My brother has horrible luck with his Kawasaki. On the third engine on his Deere large garden tractor. Engine ate a cam gear and got replaced under warranty then lost an oil pump and got another used engine this time and it’s still going. There is a kinda magic number when those fail in hours and I can’t recall , it’s a 10 year old tractor now but still stinks... I do know when a lot of those get traded in look at the hours and ask what’s been done ..

I do maintenance aswell, I used to "Slingblade" at my former job along with other things. We had 5 utvs, diesel mowers, tractors and a toolcat. We were having problems with getting filters and general maintenance items. Went to a different dealer, they pushed us out even though we'd spend close to 3k every 3 months, we only bought one piece of equipment from them and it was a lemon(DPF ****), but they blamed us. Stick to your "guy" even if he's an idiot, or you might not get parts ever.

Speaking of Kawi, we used to go to GIE every year and they donated to homeless shelters nation wide, wich was cool. But the rep there said all their engines have been US made and designed since 88. What a line of ****! China all day.

Damn! And here I thought they have a plant in Marysville, MO.

Auto Transport Service
Back