• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

You have joined the jack stand club! A inside joke from the racers forum here, long story...but I got the same admission awhile back ...So welcome Jim

Car looks amazing! Never enough pictures of your ride!

As long as it is not like the Mile High Club I guess I am ok with it ;)

First real test of the NOS water pump, 25% antifreeze and 2 bottles of Purple Ice. The monsoons are gone for a while so Tucson was 101F and beating sun today. 75MPH Freeway driving up a long grade heading home with AC blasting 34F air and the Coronet stabilized at 203F at (about 1/2 way mark on the guage)! I am a happy camper! It is a good 5F-7F cooler. This would have been a 209F and still climbing at my exit at least day on the freeway with the AC going before.

Show in Bisbee, Az yesterday. Did not win anything but there were a few Mopars....

DSC_0089.jpg DSC_0091.jpg DSC_0093.jpg DSC_0094.jpg DSC_0095.jpg DSC_0096.jpg DSC_0097.jpg DSC_0098.jpg DSC_0099.jpg DSC_0100.jpg

Last edited:
Big competition at that show. I assume the road runner and challenger won trophies?

Jim, I've read this thread beginning to end a couple of times. I have to say, you did a phenomenal job for your first resto! Gives me confidence to try things I would never have back in the day!

Jim, I've read this thread beginning to end a couple of times. I have to say, you did a phenomenal job for your first resto! Gives me confidence to try things I would never have back in the day!

Qualifier, "and last resto!" :)

Jim

You've got natural talent and too capable to stop at one. There's another project waiting for you out there.

some nice cars there thanks for sharing :thumbsup: yours is a fantastic looking car ,bet you got a lot of lookers :thumbsup:

Could I get a good picture of your rear window defogger switch on your control panel? Thanks!

The temps were only in the 80's this weekend so I decided to give the Coronet a bit of a roadside tune. I set the timing so it would ping and then started backing it off until it stopped. Hooked up the timing light and found it was 14 degrees BTDC so I moved it to 11 degrees and it has MUCH better response to the throttle. The factory setting it 2 degrees ATDC, a HUGE difference and it runs much better.

21740379_1536830216352890_173894968127552520_n-2.jpg

Drove it to a show in Tucson Saturday and it worked great. The guys on the Small Block Mopar Facebook page say 12 degrees BTDC with about 34 degrees total advance range is perfect for these engines and I tend to agree.

Love this Plymouth.

21731121_1536860499683195_3568050791234289154_n-2.jpg

The temps were only in the 80's this weekend so I decided to give the Coronet a bit of a roadside tune. I set the timing so it would ping and then started backing it off until it stopped. Hooked up the timing light and found it was 14 degrees BTDC so I moved it to 11 degrees and it has MUCH better response to the throttle. The factory setting it 2 degrees ATDC, a HUGE difference and it runs much better.

View attachment 515730
Drove it to a show in Tucson Saturday and it worked great. The guys on the Small Block Mopar Facebook page say 12 degrees BTDC with about 34 degrees total advance range is perfect for these engines and I tend to agree.

Love this Plymouth.

View attachment 515729

Nice! I worked Saturday but the weather here is nice too. Hopefully it stays this way. My poly, with bigger cam, is 19° initial, 34° total.

Whoop! In the land of Chevy's, Fords, Horses and Stage Coaches the lone B-Body Prevailed! I also had an Arizona Ranger who lived around the corner offer to buy her off me on the spot to keep his GTX and other Mopar company. We traded info and when I am ready to sell I am to call him :)

21687409_1542528912449687_1639618509842898450_n.jpg
22007587_1542672862435292_4479756536675538159_n.jpg

Well deserved 1st place. Congratulations.

Also learned a few lessons. People who to go car shows at venues that you go to FOR the car show are a different class of people than a car show that is at a place where tourists and people are just walking by and find a car show. I can't tell you how many people were putting their hands and bodies all over the cars for a "photo" shoot with their friends or girlfriend or kids jumping up to look in windows with their hands on the edge of the door.... I stayed by the car the whole time...... Not one parent said anything about respecting other peoples property.... :(

Also tourists should be banned from wearing shorts in public.

Cruised to Tucson and met Bill with his Runner in the Little Anthony's show. Let him drive the Coronet.... I may have lost it :)

Auto Transport Service
Back