• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 gtx

Well the deer season is over for now :(, but now I can get the hunting stuff put away and get back to working on the X.
We are getting some nasty weather here today rain changing to ice/sleet/snow. Heard the weatherman use a new phrase this morning, "flash freeze" that can't be good!
Time for some car hockey in the Danger Ranger tonight going home. :steering:
work.jpg

I was waiting for that Justin! I actually got everything cleaned up and put away. Now just finding where I left off.

Well I finally got 100% back in the garage for the GTX! I made some spacers that go under the seat brackets. I made enough for 2 sets so if anyone needs a set I'll hook you up cheap!
seats.jpg

seats1.jpg

I think the washers are for retention of the spacers during install only so I would think you could use a oring as well.

Dug out the head rests.
seats2.jpg

seats3.jpg

I put rubber on the posts and bubble wrapped them then double boxed them up to ship to Not just Headrests in St. Louis to be refinished. Be very carful shipping old plastic/vinyl parts as they can crack easily.

Also got the steering column pulled apart to paint and put new bearings in.

First I started at the bottom, removed the rollpin
column.jpg

next I went to the other end and removed bolts and screws for signal switch & light for indicator.
column1.jpg

column3.jpg

Make sure to remove the circlip before using bearing puller (bought from Mega Parts) other wise it could damage threads. Don't ask how I know.
Bearing comes out easy so if it's tough investigate or consult manual.

column4.jpg

The removed bearing had a rubber cover not supplied with the new bearing, clean and reuse or buy new.
column7.jpg

You need to remove the terminals from the connector to remove the signal switch. make note of wires and locations before disassembly.
Tere is then a set screw to loosen before you can remove the selector collar it is kinda hidden.
column6.jpg
column5.jpg

Make sure to het the gear selector spring out of the pocket also(right by set screw.

Yep, got the 3 pieces to blaster, outer tube, shifter tube, and main shaft. Going to cabinet blast the selector cover, and upper housing. I'll probably need to partialy assemble it to see how much I need to modify the main shaft length for the borgson gearbox.

dreiveshaftloop.jpg

Made a template so I can come up with a driveshaft loop. With the Gearvendor it needs to be right about where the front and rear floorpan overlap. Still thinking on it,

I was going to ask you I was looking while under there my pinion is a little off center in the tunnel to the drivers side. Is your green car centered or is it off a bit? Also what diameter is your driveshaft on the green car?

I was going to ask you I was looking while under there my pinion is a little off center in the tunnel to the drivers side. Is your green car centered or is it off a bit? Also what diameter is your driveshaft on the green car?
It’s off centered a little. I’ll jump under there and measure the shaft diameter tonight. My CRS prevents me from knowing lol.

Yep, got the 3 pieces to blaster, outer tube, shifter tube, and main shaft. Going to cabinet blast the selector cover, and upper housing. I'll probably need to partialy assemble it to see how much I need to modify the main shaft length for the borgson gearbox.
Moving right along. Looks good!
My Borgson gearbox came with an adapter connector that let me connect the factory shaft without any length modifications.

Auto Transport Service
Back