• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's about a little fuel injection?

That might solve the whistle noise also, since the idle air control numbers are off it probaly has the butterflies closed too far at idle

That might solve the whistle noise also, since the idle air control numbers are off it probaly has the butterflies closed too far at idle

Yeah were right on. with the air cleaner off it got louder and by ear, it was clearly coming from inside the throttle body. I changed the gasket anyway, the one they supplied was like a piece of Masonite.

IAC is supposed to be 3-10 at warm idle, mine was at 147. Plus my throttle linkage was a bit off. Little adjustment and 1/2 turn on the throttle screw and the idle cleared right up and IAC is at 7-10.

Kinda cool, at this point it has 10 min of idle time and maybe 10 miles on it. You can hear the ecu hunting and pecking and you can see the learn % going up and down... pretty neat stuff.

Maybe the best part...

First time in 5 years that fuel gauge read full.
image.jpeg

Good to hear it's working out for you. There is a Fitech group on Facebook, seems to be a lot of problems there. Some I think are from installation issues.
What are you running for ignition? MSD dist?

Yeah were right on. with the air cleaner off it got louder and by ear, it was clearly coming from inside the throttle body. I changed the gasket anyway, the one they supplied was like a piece of Masonite.

IAC is supposed to be 3-10 at warm idle, mine was at 147. Plus my throttle linkage was a bit off. Little adjustment and 1/2 turn on the throttle screw and the idle cleared right up and IAC is at 7-10.

Kinda cool, at this point it has 10 min of idle time and maybe 10 miles on it. You can hear the ecu hunting and pecking and you can see the learn % going up and down... pretty neat stuff.

Maybe the best part...

First time in 5 years that fuel gauge read full.
View attachment 526135
Where’s the video

Good to hear it's working out for you. There is a Fitech group on Facebook, seems to be a lot of problems there. Some I think are from installation issues.
What are you running for ignition? MSD dist?
alot of people have issues because they mismatch the parts, and don’t read the manual

@1967coronet440 I'll tell ya something, your info on IAC got me to do some research. I think I'm gonna have fun tweaking this thing, at first I figured it was more plug and play but some adjustments will definitely need to be made.

Question about IAC... It's at 7-10 or so now at warm idle and climbs into the 50's on acceleration, not WOT, maybe half a pedal. Normal?

@1967coronet440 I'll tell ya something, your info on IAC got me to do some research. I think I'm gonna have fun tweaking this thing, at first I figured it was more plug and play but some adjustments will definitely need to be made.

Question about IAC... It's at 7-10 or so now at warm idle and climbs into the 50's on acceleration, not WOT, maybe half a pedal.
Normal?

Yup, as long as it’s reading in that 3-10 range on idle you’re good.

I can’t wait to get mine fired up and get it tuned up, pretty jealous right now. As far as I know that IAC ( Idle Air Control) is basically like your base tune that Jd to be correct for the ECU to make the proper corrections/adjustments from there. Did you notice the throttle response get better once you got the IAC set properly

I can’t wait to get mine fired up and get it tuned up, pretty jealous right now. As far as I know that IAC ( Idle Air Control) is basically like your base tune that Jd to be correct for the ECU to make the proper corrections/adjustments from there. Did you notice the throttle response get better once you got the IAC set properly

Oh yeah, before that idle was up at 1200-1500 (set at 900) and it fell on its face the couple times I got on it around the neighborhood. Now idle is in the 825-950 range and response is crisp. Still got work to do but not bad for 10 seconds and 1/2 a turn on the idle screw.
:thumbsup:

HT413
I know you're using the Fitech intank pump. How is the rest of the system plumbed? If I remember correctly, the Fitech pump has a built in regulator. So all you have to do is run a supply to the throttle body. No return back to the tank because the regulator is on the pump. Am I correct?

alot of people have issues because they mismatch the parts, and don’t read the manual

You are right on. If one reads the tech section on FiTech's site, they'll see that virtually all of the questions asked are explained in the owner's manual. I'm amazed that guys will spend that kind of money and then make up their own installation instructions. If anyone is interested in the FiTech or any other EFI unit, I humbly suggest that they go to the manufacturer's site and read the install directions...

HT413
I know you're using the Fitech intank pump. How is the rest of the system plumbed? If I remember correctly, the Fitech pump has a built in regulator. So all you have to do is run a supply to the throttle body. No return back to the tank because the regulator is on the pump. Am I correct?

Yep the pump has a regulator in it and it can be run with or without return. The throttle body also has a regulator in it so I decided to remove the pump reg and stick with the one in the throttle body. I ran a return cuz I figured it'd be easier on the pump that way.

Drove it pretty hard for about 25 miles yesterday. Boy is it fun!

Noticed the internal coolant temp registered a rock solid 170* the whole time - about 15 degrees cooler than my Autometer. Explains why my fans aren't coming on, set for 185* on 180* off. So I set the on/off for 170* / 165* just to see them come on... and got a fan relay fault #74.

So went cruising anyway... interesting that now idle was hunting more than normal. i understand that the ecu adjusts the IAC steps up a bit when it's activating the fan, and since the fan didn't come on, it affected the idle.

So I turned the fan control off for now to see if it comes back to normal (I'll troubleshoot the fan circuit some other time). Haven't had the chance to drive it yet to see if it brought the idle back under control.

Got some videos I'll post later...

Here's the controller with the key off - the ecu has constant power, so does the screen - though it goes to sleep in a couple minutes.
IMG_6203.JPG

This is car not running (rpm 0) but key in run position.
IMG_6204.JPG

IAC steps seems to start hi before I start the car, then as it runs it comes down to about 4-4. This is key in run, but engine off.
IMG_6205.JPG

I understand that cylinder temp is an estimate based on air temp and coolant temp? Think I read that somewhere.
IMG_6206.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG
IMG_6217.JPG

Got the fan controller squared away, works great, though the idle is still pretty up and down... much more so than the carb.

Got the fan controller squared away, works great, though the idle is still pretty up and down... much more so than the carb.

Need to put more miles on it. Mine took about 200 miles to self learn. Have fun!

Auto Transport Service
Back