• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your opinion on VIN swaps?

Hawk, I wasn't commenting on your post. I was just putting that question out there for everyone who has opinions in this thread. I am not advocating crushing any cars either. I am just adding a new variable to the conversation that hasn't been mentioned.

Yes, we get it it...VIN swapping is illegal. So is street racing and cheating on your taxes.

There is nothing to "realize" later. My VIN clearly has been removed from the car and reinstalled. Any buyer can see that, even without ANY accompanying information. So if my car was sold 10 times after I sold it, it still shows that same way.

The car's history is what it is. I have the same title from 40 some years ago, and lots of pictures from my limited "restoration" I did in the late 80 and late 90s; it's pretty obvious I have owned it a very long time. If I ever did sell the car, it would be with all the history and information about it (and let's face it, the car is FAR from being a highly desirable Mopar - it's not a Hemi 'Cuda convertible). If I pass away and my wife or kids go to sell the car then all that information is still available. Personally, I think it's worse to try and hide any of its history - if I do that then I'm entering into fraud territory. Should I buy the special transfer decal and rivets to fix the VIN? Does that make it better? Assuming that's worse, then what do I do, just crush the damn thing???

So I guess my choice is to either crush it or drive it and represent it for what it is. I can't go back in time so I'll choose the latter...

So do believe that the VIN has been swapped or just removed and reinstalled? Removing a VIN tag and reinstalling it should not be all that controversial. I know that someone will cite a legal ruling that says it is illegal to remove the tag but if you own an E Body and want a new dash pad you have no choice. Based on what you are saying, personally I would get the right rivets and the transfer and make it look like it should. Not to device anyone, just to make it presentable. If it has normal rivets in there thats going to be something that is going to be a PIA every time anyone with any experience with classic Mopars looks at it.

Hey its your car, do what you think is right, but I would make that tag right if it were me just because I would not like the incorrect rivets in there, especially since they are available.

Hawk, I wasn't commenting on your post. I was just putting that question out there for everyone who has opinions in this thread. I am not advocating crushing any cars either. I am just adding a new variable to the conversation that hasn't been mentioned.

Yes, we get it it...VIN swapping is illegal. So is street racing and cheating on your taxes.
I get it. And while I responded to your specific post I was also kind of generally responding to the thread. No disrespect or anger directed at you - just trying to make a point.

And that point is that some of this stuff has gotten a bit crazy. People don't worry about this kind of stuff for 50 Mercs, 57 Chevy's or T buckets. Modify away and everyone is happy. Yet some people get on high horses and preach about "illegal" and non-original stuff as if it is a curse. Many of our cars have led hard and varied lives way before they were coveted collectibles. We can't undo their history, and that's my point about crushing them. I think if any of our cars are represented for what they are (along with any known history), we'll all be fine.

So do believe that the VIN has been swapped or just removed and reinstalled? Removing a VIN tag and reinstalling it should not be all that controversial. I know that someone will cite a legal ruling that says it is illegal to remove the tag but if you own an E Body and want a new dash pad you have no choice. Based on what you are saying, personally I would get the right rivets and the transfer and make it look like it should. Not to device anyone, just to make it presentable. If it has normal rivets in there thats going to be something that is going to be a PIA every time anyone with any experience with classic Mopars looks at it.

Hey its your car, do what you think is right, but I would make that tag right if it were me just because I would not like the incorrect rivets in there, especially since they are available.
Certainly in my case the VIN was removed and reinstalled (albeit poorly) by yours truly. (By the way, on my 70 I carefully taped off the vin, left scratches in it, and restored/ painted the dash without messing with it - so unlike what my wife says, I CAN actually be trained!).
I guess I have thought about getting the transfer decal and rivets, but there is also controversy on if you are even allowed to buy those rivets. Like I said, the car is a family member - it's not going anywhere soon. So for now, I'll keep it as is - warts and all. It wears many of those as a badge of honor - in use for almost 50 years and counting!

Well then IMO I would definitely get the right rivets and the transfer since you are the one who removed it. The "legal" part was when you removed it the first time.. IMO you are good now.

FYI, If you bring in an older car from out of state and register it in North Carolina the DMV has the State Police inspect the VIN tag. If anything looks out of place they will not allow you to register the car. I made sure that everything was proper before I bought my car from Virginia.

The last restoration we did was of a '66 Porsche 911 S. You may or may not know that the 'S' makes a lot of difference price wise.
Something in the region of 150K US. This car was a first owner car with all the proper paperwork since new.
We finished the resto end of 2020. Last year we get a call from a friendly dealer that a 911 S with the exact same VIN was sold in France.
We also have a client who bought a '66 911 S , or he thought so,without checking the VIN before he bought it. You can ask Porsche to verify the VIN and engine and gearbox numbers, they will tell if its correct or not, they won't tell anymore what the correct engine or gearbox numbers are . Well, the car had a bogus VIN witch was never used on a real 911 S.
The amount of research we do before we start any restorations is just to verify that these cars are real and correct. If there is any doubt we won't do it.

Auto Transport Service
Back