• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘69 Roadrunner 383 six pack air cleaner/grabber set up

69-beeper

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

What does it take to install a 383 six-pack setup using Mopar Performance intake/carbs/linkage from Mancini’s, in a factory ‘69 Roadrunner with a 383 4 bbl air grabber setup.

Will the air cleaner from the ‘69 1/2 440 six-pack work with this setup? The 383 intake looks pretty tall and was thinking it may work. If not, what about the 70-71 440 six pack air cleaner?

Appreciate any info on this mod. Thanks!

You need a 6 pack hood, the rest will work fine, I think there may actually be a low deck motor base for 6 pack set up too which will be 3/4” higher than the 440 base

Was hoping the six pack air cleaner would work with the factory 383 4bbl air grabber hood setup. The only thing that looked different between the two in the photos is the air cleaner base. I’m also thinking the six pack intake may be a little taller than the factory 4 bbl intake as well.

Maybe I’ll put the six pack idea on the back burner for awhile. Thanks!

I've wanted to do a 6-pack set up on my 383 Challenger for a while too. The hold up has been hood clearance. I'm thinking of shelving my stock hood, and going with a T/A hood. I wanted the car to make it's 50th B-day, like it was born. That's in the past now, so ???

Was hoping the six pack air cleaner would work with the factory 383 4bbl air grabber hood setup. The only thing that looked different between the two in the photos is the air cleaner base. I’m also thinking the six pack intake may be a little taller than the factory 4 bbl intake as well.
Nope won’t work with factory 4 bbl air grabber hood. Don’t think, know, that the six pack intake is a lot higher than stock 4 barrel intake.

I dunno guys..... I THINK IT WILL FIT/WORK. I would recommend a 70-71 440 six pack air cleaner like you mentioned. It will fit and work just fine. Think of it this way.... the 69 Hemi cars used the same air grabber hood as the 383 cars in 69. In 70, the Hemi cars (same air cleaner as a 69) used the same hood as the 440 six pack, so those heights are the same in 1970 (six pack/hemi)....and the 69 Hemi is the same height as the 70 Hemi.....so a 70/71 six pack air cleaner on a 383 six pack will fit in a 69 air grabbber hood (and have about 1" extra clearance to spare)

A 440 with a six pack and shaker base air cleaner set just fits under the hood of my A-body. No room for any carb spacers! I would think a B-body hood has a touch more overhead.

I dunno guys..... I THINK IT WILL FIT/WORK. I would recommend a 70-71 440 six pack air cleaner like you mentioned. It will fit and work just fine. Think of it this way.... the 69 Hemi cars used the same air grabber hood as the 383 cars in 69. In 70, the Hemi cars (same air cleaner as a 69) used the same hood as the 440 six pack, so those heights are the same in 1970 (six pack/hemi)....and the 69 Hemi is the same height as the 70 Hemi.....so a 70/71 six pack air cleaner on a 383 six pack will fit in a 69 air grabbber hood (and have about 1" extra clearance to spare)

I think the issue here is the height of the manifold and where it puts the air cleaner base in relation to the hood and the seal it rest’s against and the final height of the lid will be higher than the hood itself.

The hemi intake is a lower intake height wise than the 6 pack. I just bought p5153737 and it sure looked a lot lower than the 6 pack intake on the 440 on the run in stand in the shop.

To test your theory, just get a carb spacer the height of the difference between the 6 pack manifold and the stock 383 manifold. Put it on, and see if you can get the hood closed.

All that said, I might be wrong and if so sure would like to see it done! ✅

Last edited:
I think the issue here is the height of the manifold and where it puts the air cleaner base in relation to the hood and the seal it rest’s against and the final height of the lid will be higher than the hood itself.

The hemi intake is a lower intake height wise than the 6 pack. I just bought p5153737 and it sure looked a lot lower than the 6 pack intake on the 440 on the run in stand in the shop.

To test your theory, just get a carb spacer the height of the difference between the 6 pack manifold and the stock 383 manifold. Put it on, and see if you can get the hood closed.

All that said, I might be wrong and if so sure would like to see it done! ✅
You are correct that what matters is the height of the air cleaner vs. the fiberglass box. Maybe the way I said it was confusing.....think of it this way instead.
1. If you put a 70-71 440 six pack air cleaner on a 69 440 six pack engine, I'm 99% sure it would work/clear a 69 airgrabber hood.
2. a 383 is not taller than a 440 (383's are about an inch shorter I believe which is why the air grabber air cleaners are taller for 383's)
3. I'm 99% sure a 383 six pack intake isn't any taller than a 440 six pack intake

Auto Transport Service
Back