• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘70 Belvedere column shift collar replacement

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Do I need remove my steering column from the car to replace my column collar with a floor shift collar?
DC987054-F391-4FDD-BB49-52F060B0FD9B.jpeg

the collar can be changed while the column is installed.

What about the linkage in the column that connects to the transmission? I assume the steering column has to come out to remove it?

Yes if your gonna change the inner tube to a floor shift one you would be time ahead to just remove the column do the conversion and reinstall.

Yes if your gonna change the inner tube to a floor shift one you would be time ahead to just remove the column do the conversion and reinstall.
Does it hurt to leave it in? I ran a steel rod from the outer drive selector bracket (in the engine compartment) over to another bracket so it can’t rotate.

Does it hurt to leave it in? I ran a steel rod from the outer drive selector bracket (in the engine compartment) over to another bracket so it can’t rotate.

Nope it will be fine as is just a shift lever at the bottom of the column not used.
I just noticed this is a 70 column so I’m not sure about the key release lock linkage.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back