• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 charger column too long?

Moparkrazed

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got my 73 charger home last night been working on it all day. Went to install the column and there is no way it’s going to fit. I think the shaft coming out of the steering box might be the problem. I’ve attached pics but the column it’s around 3-5 inches too far out when the end of the column touches the steering gear shaft. Any thoughts?

IMG_7025.jpeg

IMG_7024.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

A couple of things could be going on with it. First is it a power steering column? If a manual column it would be too long for a power steering application. Second the inner shaft is collapsable in the event of a collision and has small plastic pins that are easily sheared and allowing the shaft to be extended and too long.

I believe your shafts pins are broke. The pins are supposed to break if you get in an accident.

Ok so update. I don’t think it’s the pins. Just took a closer pic of the column and I know I can’t get the difference from the shaft going in further in, the column looks good to me. So I’m thinking either the column is a manual column or the shaft coming from the steering box is too long. Anyone have a clue how long the manual column is so I can measure what I have?

IMG_7033.jpeg

Are the parts assembled in the proper order?

This is what my 73 looks like at the box.

Heat shield is missing while I test fit.

1709560663231.png

Yes, that's a hockey puck.

There it is with the shield.

Note where the slip joint box is.

1709560876119.png

This looks like a 74 arrangement-

1709560918637.png

This looks like a 74 arrangement-

View attachment 1620993
That might be the issue. The parts look to be in correct order but that shaft coming out of the box I think is what’s messing me up. I think if I swap out the bottom of this shaft (assuming I can do that) it might work out. This is one I pulled from a 73 charger but the floor shifter parts were broken inside.

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

That looks correct for 73.

Be aware that the 73 "rag joint" is one year only and pretty expensive.
That's why mine has a $4 hockey puck (and have been in there for almost 12 years).

You can retrofit the entire 74 setup, and use the $12 parts store ford rag joint, but there a little work involved swapping out the floor mount.

That looks correct for 73.

Be aware that the 73 "rag joint" is one year only and pretty expensive.
That's why mine has a $4 hockey puck (and have been in there for almost 12 years).

You can retrofit the entire 74 setup, and use the $12 parts store ford rag joint, but there a little work involved swapping out the floor mount.
Oh cool man. Yeah not wanting to keep the floor mount. I bought the column to swap the floor mount stuff on the top of the column to my 71 charger. I’m definitely not going for originality on this car, just want it functional so I can drive it haha. Think I can swap the 73 stuff over to the 74 column and get it installed that way?

I was talking about the plate at the bottom of the column that bolts to the floor.

74 is different and the holes don't line up.

That's if you wanted to swap the 74 column into the 73 car.

I was talking about the plate at the bottom of the column that bolts to the floor.

74 is different and the holes don't line up.

That's if you wanted to swap the 74 column into the 73 car.
Oh ok I’m following now haha. I might just be better off swapping the upper column parts onto the 73 column making it column shift column, which I’m cool with. I’d probably have to move the column shift lever at the bottom of the column as well.
Or I could pull the firewall plate off the 73 column along with the steering box part and and move them to the 74 column then be good.

Last edited:
Just wanted to reach out and say thanks to everyone again. Yy1 was correct the column had a 1974 charger end on it it and the steering box side had a 1973 set up. Luckily I was able to swap the 1973 end onto the 74 column and got it attached. Floor pans came in the this weekend so I’ll be welding in new floors soon. As soon a I track down se quarter window hardware ( probably from the hardware store) I’ll get on the body work. Probably going to drop a 360 in it to putt around and get my charger fix while I’m working on the 71 charger. :)
Thanks again everyone.

Auto Transport Service
Back