• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘71 carb?

Never looked into 4 speed carbs as mine were both Autos. Got a date coded 72 440 N-96 Holley Carb for my 72 RR/GTX. Anyway I know the 4137 is correct for Auto/Air Grabber for sure as I have a low mileage N-96 carb from a 71 383 Hp Air grabber someone modded a bit... I got a standard 71 holley to convert back the mods...
I guess the book could be wrong too..

View attachment 705898 View attachment 705899 View attachment 705900

I think your picture with the 4375 list number is wrong,the 4375 is not a dual inlet center hung float unless someone changed the bowls.

So is the 4749-3 a suitable replacement? Just looking for a close replacement for my auto AVS.

what I have found is
the main difference besides the list numbers on these carbs is in the metering block
some of the vents off it will be different
and also the idle circuits could be different per application.

the 6193 I got had the wrong metering block in it , the vent was wrong
(common because these carbs seem to gum up fast and run like crap
and they were also known to be leaky so they tended to be monkeyed with over time)
when I started to dig further
there are a lot of different metering block part numbers that can go with these carbs.
and some of the blocks even interchange with....Chevrolets!
don't forget Mopar wasn't Holleys only customer
so I'm sure you could make it work with some research
the guy who posted above me ^^^ is the man you need to talk to!..lol
I happened to find a correct nos metering block for my carb
thanks to the help I got from Bill O

Last edited:
I think your picture with the 4375 list number is wrong,the 4375 is not a dual inlet center hung float unless someone changed the bowls.

It has been modified like I said in my post but the carb body is correct I have another Holley with all the right pieces to put it back to stock....

What if anything goes on the driver's side of the carb? You can see in my first picture there is a spring loaded screw that goes to nothing on my carb???
Thanks Ron

IMG_2400 (Large).JPG IMG_2398 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
So at what point where a lot of these factory Holleys replaced at dealerships with the Carter AVS 6125s

1971 383 HP

I thought I read somewhere about a Chrysler bulletin or something related with the Holleys and dealerships where installing Carter AVS 6125s conversion kits on the 1971 383 HP

So at what point where a lot of these factory Holleys replaced at dealerships with the Carter AVS 6125s

1971 383 HP

I thought I read somewhere about a Chrysler bulletin or something related with the Holleys and dealerships where installing Carter AVS 6125s conversion kits on the 1971 383 HP

There may be a TSB associated with replacing a Holley with a 6125 Carter AVS but I haven't seen it (or don't remember it). Either way, the Holley 4 barrel line for the 1970 & 71 383 Chrysler applications were known to be a problematic design (they can work well but a lot of people have issues with them even today). Carters are a much simpler and easy to keep in tune, especially by novice owners. That said, production line correct is what most people care about when doing a 100% restoration on a car so replacement carbs, even if suggested by a TSB, don't care much weight when discussing correctness or originality. .02

While it’s been many years, I’ve seen this document and referred to it many times to perform this conversion while working at dealerships in the mid-seventies. It was a complete factory prepared kit that included hard fuel lines, divorced choke, and all necessary hardware for a factory appearing installation.
Problematic? That may be an understatement, the OE Holley’s of that time had a terrible reputation for leaking, warping, cork gasket shrinkage and generally undependable. Many engine fires were attributed to them.

Last edited:
1971 RR 383 4-speed.What carb did it come with from the factory? I can’t find it on the charts.
I'm pretty sure my '71 Charger/SuperBee came new with a Carter AVS, 650cfm if I'm not mistaken; I'm now using a Holly 750cfm dbl pumper.

Auto Transport Service
Back