• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘71 Charger Proportioning Valve

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
Original setup in my ‘71 Charger was drums all around, and now I’m doing disc up front and drums in the year.
I’m upgrading the booster, but do I need to update the proportioning valve?

How do I clean it and restore it if I can re-use it?

Thanks always!

87E02F28-178D-4A04-B61A-E5E3D35F1E4C.jpeg D8543570-043D-4817-A62B-11AD4C04C75E.jpeg

when adding disc up front, no upgrade needed to the factory proportioning valve. Just ad an adjustable brake valve to the rear brake line like T2R9 said. Then go to a big parking lot with out a lot of cars and make some hard braking stops, if the front dips very hard when braking adjust the rear valve so you have more rear braking till you have a good feel between front and rear brakes. You always want the front brakes (75 %) to come on first before the rear brakes (25 %) approximately. To much rear braking and you will have the car sideway before you know it. I did the same procedure when I added discs to my 70 Sport Satellite and the brakes work great now!! It took a few try's at stopping to get the rear valve adjusted right.

mbm-adjustable-proportioning-valve.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to go with original parts, there are a couple options for rebuilding. Do it yourself or send it to B&E Warehouse in MN: https://brakeandequipment.com/. B&E are great to work with and reasonably priced.

Either way, the replacement parts will come from here: https://www.musclecarresearch.com/mopar-parts. There is a lot of great info/how-to on that website, you just need to dig through lots of info.

Can’t speak to the additional parts required or if you’ll need a different p-valve (I think you will)

If not mistaken, on an all drum car no factory proportioning valve , what you have pictured is the oem distribution block , so you may have need for a proportion valve!Thats how I see it !

Auto Transport Service
Back