• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

09 Challenger R/T needs tires

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Will put Coopers on. Have an R/T with 18's. The original Michelins are rotted at 13k miles.
How wide can I go for the rears without any issues to give it a little attitude? These will rot before wearing out too, so rotation is not an issue.

The tires on our 2015 are 245-45-20. The rim is 8 inches wide. I have 275s on a 9 inch rim on the Charger. The tread sits square. I don't mind a tire a bit wider than the rim, it actually can protect the rim edge should you scrape a curb. I'm not sure of the width of your rim or the tire size you currently have but if a 275-40-18 is available, it is about 1 1/4" wider than a 245 series tire.

Front wheel.JPG IMG_2109.JPG

235 55 18's now. Factory.

How wide is the rim? I have 275’s on my 06 Charger, next time around I’m going 295’s

Dennis, mine all are 245 45. so you get an idea of that width and sidewall ht

Running a tire with bead wider than wheel contributes to sidewall flex. Look at Formula cars, wheel is always wider than tire bead, helps to keep the tire from folding over onto sidewall under cornering pressure, increases directional stability.

Tire size changes make me nuts. Forget it. Putting Cooper CS5's same size all the way. 121 a piece at Amazon. Free delivery. Between the TPMS and lack of what fits clarity, just not worth it. Thanks all.

Tire size changes make me nuts. Forget it. Putting Cooper CS5's same size all the way. 121 a piece at Amazon. Free delivery. Between the TPMS and lack of what fits clarity, just not worth it. Thanks all.
Soft compound Comp T/A's will give much better performance Dennis. Come in different sustained speed ratings too. Softer compound is better in wet too.

To a point...The "Summer" tires on our 15 Challenger come with a suggestion to NOT drive at temperatures below 50 degrees. This is supposed to cause tread chunking.... Whuuut ???

Auto Transport Service
Back