• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does my wifes 09 Challenger R/T classic have the best battery ever installed in any automobile ever?

chargervert

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
My wife bought her brand new 2009 Challenger R/T Classic out of the dealer showroom when it was brand new. It was like going back to 1970 when my parents bought their new 1970 Charger R/T SE brand new. So fast forward to today,when I ask my wife,when was the last time you started up your Challenger,she said two months ago! I said that i better start it up and let it run. The original 14 year old battery fired right up! Anybody got more life than that out of their original Mopar battery?

20180826_180753.jpg

Last edited:
My wife bought her brand new 2009 Challenger R/T Classic out of the dealer showroom when it was brand new. It was like going back to 1970 when my parents bought their new 1970 Charger R/T SE brand new. So fast forward to today,when I ask my wife,when was the last time you started up your Challenger,she said two months ago! I said that i better start it up and let it run. The original 13 year old battery fired right up! Anybody got more life than that out of their original Mopar battery?

View attachment 1574174

it's a miracle!

1979 Chrysler 300: Battery replaced under warranty after a couple of months.
1984 Shelby Charger: Battery replaced under warranty in under 6 months.
1990 Ramcharger: Battery replaced battery under warranty in under 5 months.

All were daily drivers in Texas. Maybe the heat got to them or maybe their batteries from this era sucked.

Sold the M6 09 R/T 2 years ago with the factory battery. It’s still in. FOBS too. It’s in Pennsylvania now.

78A83FF0-03E6-48DC-B943-C77E8D6CEC6E.jpeg

The great battery swap of 2006-07 (?)
Golf cart to truck , truck to RR, RR's POS Interstate Junk Batt.
(wouldn't hold a charge, less than 2 y/o) went to recyclers

Nope
I can beat that long easily 2-3 times
in another thread on here, I wrote a long list of batteries/cars/trucks/golfcart
I've had mostly Optima's Red Tops & Yellow Tops
that have lasted that long easily

My org. Maintenance Free Lead Acid MoPar/Excide Battery
org. 60 month warranty, exceeded that by far
002.JPG

003.JPG

that was org. in my
99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr (Group 27) from new just gave up the ghost after 24+ years
I took it out of my truck in 2006-07-ish (I installed it my 68 RR trunk)
I put my Red Top Opmtima (that was new in 2000-2001)
out of my Yamaha Gas golf cart, in the truck
The org. MoPar Excide/Dakota truck battery went in my 68 RR,
in a trunk mount relocation kit 2006-ish (bought that car in Dec. 2005)
I just replaced it (Excide battery) this summer,
so 1999 (act. 1998 the truck was built) to the summer of 2023
replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top 800ca group 34
RoadRunner new parts Firecore Dist. 40 ohm wires HEI style cap 001.JPG

That Red Optima battery that was out of my golf cart,
was in my truck until 2 (maybe 3 ?) years ago now,
replaced with the exact same style & brand, so 20-21 years on that battery too
5-6 in the golf cart & the rest in my 99 Dakota

They truly had amazing batteries! I keep waiting for the call from the Misses that the car won't start.it has not hapoened,headed for year number 15!

10 years was my best......and that was with one of those JC Penny jobs where they replaced it free if it ever failed. Got a couple of them back then and they were not cheap.

My wife bought her brand new 2009 Challenger R/T Classic out of the dealer showroom when it was brand new. It was like going back to 1970 when my parents bought their new 1970 Charger R/T SE brand new. So fast forward to today,when I ask my wife,when was the last time you started up your Challenger,she said two months ago! I said that i better start it up and let it run. The original 13 year old battery fired right up! Anybody got more life than that out of their original Mopar battery?

View attachment 1574174
I got 13 yrs on a Lincoln Town Car. Was cleaning car with trunk and doors open for several hours. Was going to NYC the next day so replaced it, didn't want to have a dead battery there. Friends aunt had a 39 Pontiac and they kept records of anything they spent on the car. They never drove at night and it had 30kish miles. First battery 1962. Aunt gave him the car in 1967 as his winter car.

The battery in my ‘09 last 8 or 9 years. Garage kept, parked winters. Driven 3000 miles a year.
I had to change the fob batteries a few times over the years too.
The Battery in my daily driver Dart lasted less than 5 years. Surprisingly at 9-1/2 years and over 120,000 miles I haven’t had to change the fob battery yet though.

I have a 'rebuilt' battery in my 96 Dakota....over 2 years now and still kicks pretty good. Cheapest battery I've ever bought and still works.

Costco is very generous with there warranty. My Toyota interstate crapped out and I thought battery was 6 yrs old (still think it was) Guy warrantied paid $13.00.

Bought a 98 Stratus new and racked up 200k on it and sold it in 2010 and it still had it's original battery. Great car and it was even purple!

I bought a 1994 Jeep Wrangler new and drove it 156k. It was 15 years old when I sold it and still had the original battery. It also had the original EVERYTHING, only oil changes and 3 sets of tires, that's it. It never broke down, never even needed brakes, just kept going. It was the best vehicle I've ever owned.
My 2011 Cummins batteries (2) gave up after 11years- not bad.

I had a Die Hard Gold in the coronet when I bought it in 2006,
I'm not sure how long it had been in the car. I replaced it after aprox 10 yrs.
Damn thing was still working but I figured it's not going to crap out at home. It had served its time.

I had a Die Hard Gold in the coronet when I bought it in 2006,
I'm not sure how long it had been in the car. I replaced it after aprox 10 yrs.
Damn thing was still working but I figured it's not going to crap out at home. It had served its time

Auto Transport Service
Back